• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Airgun pellets and muzzloaders.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got thousands of 22 airgun pellets. Heavy, light and even a few .25.
Anyway it's been ages since I've shot a muzzloader so I dragged the 12g out and popped two caps on a dry patch to check for moisture.
IMG_20230430_101951.jpg

Then I made a measure from a 3" hull to measure around 1&1/2oz of pellets.
IMG_20230430_095748.jpg

Using just 65gn of fine powder 3&4f) I loaded three OS cards and a ball or brown paper and another card as a wad. After the pellets another card on top.
I loaded the gun three times this afternoon for two rabbits. I'll settle for that any day of the week. Recoil was strong and noticeable, just how I like it.
IMG_20230430_175140.jpg

IMG_20230430_185008.jpg

IMG_20230430_185347.jpg

It was good to go back to basics, even with an unorthodox method of loading.

Congratulations on a successful hunt!

Have you patterned those pellets on paper? I would be interested in the results. I was wondering if the pellets might straighten out in flight, like a badminton shuttlecock, or if they would tumble. Results on paper might answer the question.

That's just academic, though. The pellets clearly work on game!

Notchy Bob

I also have a Beretta O/U identical to yours, but never tried airgun pellets. Interesting concept as to whether projectiles weighted at one end really fly "heavy end first" (or not). I'm too cheap to shoot airgun pellets, but if some one shoots a bunch at paper targets, I'd like to see 'em.

Guys, it was a short range affair. 10&20 yards.
Skychief, I don't currently have a .22 air rifle, only 177.
I was in a gunshop a few years ago and asked if they had any shot. The proprietor said he had a small amount in an ammo box but the " boy" had tipped hundred of spilt airgun pellets in with it. I asked how much and bought it for a mere 10 English bucks!
It's taken some sorting and pretty much all the shot went on crows and pheasants.
The best 177 pellets go to the good air rifle for hunting. The lousy ones go to the garden plinker so my granddaughter and I can shoot 22lr cases and shotgun hulls.
IMG_20230417_183618.jpg

The shotgun is indeed a Beretta not made by Beretta to celebrate 300 years of gun making 🤣. I don't own a Berretta as I don't really like their products except this one which wasn't made by them lol. It's what I call topsy turvy barreled gun.

No I haven't shot it at paper. I just reasoned if get plenty in the barrel and get close enough it should work. I doubt the pellets right themselves. I think they will knock themselves side ways completely randomly.
I'll let you in on a little secret of mine.....with these crazy loads I don't actually aim at the rabbit, I aim to the side of it 🤫, each rabbit took two pellets. One I recovered.
IMG_20230430_175421.jpg

Clean up took ten minutes with boiled water, patches and an olive oil based mix.
IMG_20230430_224213.jpg

Back