• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Today's challenge.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was to be a pheasant or two with a muzzloader.
A challenge in its own right but it had been ages since I last used my .45 smoothbore.

Weirdly I used #5 shot today also. I normally don't go larger than #6 and favour #7.

I tipped about 50gn of 4f powder, a thin card, two more thin cards with a scoop of vasaline, rammed them down and tipped 3/4oz of shot filled by another card and set off for a cock pheasant. I left the hens alone today.
Actually the first shot was a squirrel but the second shot was a rising pheasant that came down stone dead but landed in a flash of water 🤦.
View attachment 269982
Then it went downhill.
I missed the next three! And a partridge 😞.
Finally I got one more chance and with a frantic retrieve we got my second bird.View attachment 269983

I had a good old time this morning and the pigeons, wow, a thousand birds easily.View attachment 269984

If I had to choose just one muzzloader I'd really struggle to not choose this little .45" smoothbore.
Thank you , you made me relive days past, here in PA we used to have great pheasant hunting but no more, sadly!

All breaded up.
IMG_20231121_202347.jpg

IMG_20231121_204109.jpg

😋

Latest posts

Back