• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Advice on welding and drilling hole

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
If I use acetylene and oxy torch to weld a screw in a tapped hole then cut the screw and file smooth would I have a hard time drilling a hole of the same size but with enough space detween the holes so I can thread the new hole? I just didn't know if by using the torch would it harden the steel and not be able to drill. To my limited knowledge I am of the thinking that using the torch would not cause a problem if I let the metal cool natural (NOT QUENCHING)
Thanks

If I use acetylene and oxy torch to weld a screw in a tapped hole then cut the screw and file smooth would I have a hard time drilling a hole of the same size but with enough space detween the holes so I can thread the new hole? I just didn't know if by using the torch would it harden the steel and not be able to drill. To my limited knowledge I am of the thinking that using the torch would not cause a problem if I let the metal cool natural (NOT QUENCHING)
Thanks
Seems like it would be a lot better to drill and tap to a larger screw. If aesthetics are the concern, then file the head of the bigger screw to look like the smaller one, then you have the best of both worlds, it is a real fix that is functional and doesn’t look like a bailing wire and bubble gum job.

Hi,
No one can tell you for sure because you have not mentioned what the steel alloy is you want to drill. If it has enough carbon to harden you do risk hardening the steel using the torch. In that case remove the heat from the metal slowly allowing it to cool to dim red very slowly. Make sure you use mild steel welding rod. I do this frequently and often have to anneal the steel after filling the hole.

dave

The better way to fill and move a hole. Use high temp silver solder or braze to secure a correctly threaded screw or piece of round stock in the hole. Dress it off flat. Then drill and tap in the correct location. The patch will probably be near invisible. Maybe a small crescent will show. Welding this kind of thing is a specialized skill. IT usually goes very wrong for the inexperienced. Silver solder is the solution used by one of the best long rifle kit makers when customers mess up lock plates.

If you don't have your fuel/ox mixture set for a neutral flame you will either end up with a hard surface (too much carbon) or an oxidized (eroded) surface. I would also use braze to secure the screw.

If you don't have your fuel/ox mixture set for a neutral flame you will either end up with a hard surface (too much carbon) or an oxidized (eroded) surface. I would also use braze to secure the screw.
You could do either what Dave or Scota have suggested.

Back