• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Advice on a Fedex damage claim?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajbennettnc

20-to-the-pound
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Bought this N. African Snaphaunce in an online auction. It arrived Saturday but I just got the chance to open the package today. I noticed a hole in the box, but it seemed OK when I started unwrapping it. Then I saw that the stock was weirdly cracked at the wrist. Its cracked very badly. I knew this thing was a relic, but the photos from the auction show that there was no crack when I bought it. It was shipped by FedExGround. I've almost filled the claim form out, but just figured I'd ask for advice first.
Have any of y'all dealt with Fedex claims on a broken antique? I plan to contact the seller in the morning.

Attachments

• 20240212_205304.jpg
    20240212_205304.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 11
  • 20240212_205341.jpg
    20240212_205341.jpg
    1,013.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240212_205347.jpg
    20240212_205347.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240212_210141.jpg
    20240212_210141.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240212_210142.jpg
    20240212_210142.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240212_210136.jpg
    20240212_210136.jpg
  • 20240212_210129.jpg
    20240212_210129.jpg
Unfortunately in my experience there is No way FedEx will take ANY responsibility for that damage. You might have a claim against the seller but I doubt it will satisfy you.

I used to ship lots of stuff with FedEx. One time they damaged a shipment, and paid me to repair the item and return it to my customer. It was a long time ago, so maybe it's different now, but I'd definitely contact them.

shipping has turned into a nightmare. so sorry you have to deal with this, been there done that.
sure looks like the floor sweeper at the Auction house could have done a better job packing that.
i wish i had 100 bucks for every package i have received with a barrel sticking out like a flag pole.
could buy a Kibler.

When it comes to wrapping things to mail, some people are just lazy.
Or have no clue that our stuff isn't handled delicately... that shippers don't really give a s**t about our prized possessions. It's a job shuffling boxes all day. How fun is that?

Something like this pistol, I'd have poured insulating foam (you know, that stuff that comes in a can for sealing leaks around the door) into half the box with the gun half-exposed (in a plastic bag of course). When set, pour the other half.

For extra security, strategically place wood strips.

I think the shipper/seller needs to take responsibility for this one.

Bought this N. African Snaphaunce in an online auction. It arrived Saturday but I just got the chance to open the package today. I noticed a hole in the box, but it seemed OK when I started unwrapping it. Then I saw that the stock was weirdly cracked at the wrist. Its cracked very badly. I knew this thing was a relic, but the photos from the auction show that there was no crack when I bought it. It was shipped by FedExGround. I've almost filled the claim form out, but just figured I'd ask for advice first.
Have any of y'all dealt with Fedex claims on a broken antique? I plan to contact the seller in the morning.
You may have bid on a gun in a picture,BUT did you get the one pictured!?

That crack looks as old as the wood it's self.

The picture from the auction website was of this gun, and it does faintly show the crack, which appeared to me to to be a scratch, but was indeed a cosmetically repaired crack. The seller claims that it was packaged well, and I have asked them to file a claim with FedEx. I am not holding my breath about it, but I'll see if FedEx can at least compensate me the shipping insurance value.
At worst case, I have the metal parts for a build and the old cracked stock can be a pattern.
The lock oddly enough has all its parts (found a good source that says that most N. African Snaphaunces have had their pan cover push rods removed.) Probably gonna need a new sear, but I haven't tried to cock it yet. I'll post more about all that in the Preflintlock forum sometime later on.

Back