• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Nepal Brown Bess from IMA

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNBandit

40 Cal
Reaction score
New project. Been looking at these "kits" for a couple of years or more and with the advice of the fine folks over on the British Militaria forum I finally bit the bullet and ordered one. If some of you don't know the story the owner of IMA found and purchased 55,000 antique weapons from the Nepal government that had been sitting in a palace in Kathmandu for well over 100 years. Seems they never threw away or sold anything. When their military got more modern guns they put the old ones away in the palace. With respect to the Brown Bess muskets they have a variety of choices. Complete guns or kits like I bought. Original East India Company markings on the locks or Gurkha marked locks. They wanted $500 more for the EIC marked locks and so I chose to go with the Gurkha markings. They were both made in the same factories by the same people so I couldn't justify the extra money. What arrived was a barrel still attached to what was left of a badly rotted and broken in half stock plus a bag with the lock and some other small parts. The first lock they sent was missing the bridle, the sear and the screw that holds them in. I assume it was being used for parts and was sent accidently. But IMA has some of the best customer service in the business and they sent a nice complete replacement and covered the shipping both ways. Also included is a new stock that reportedly came from India. Here are a few pics of the package I received as well as progress pics of where it's at currently. $700 is a lot of money but it's half the price of a Pedersoli repop and it's got history. Approximately 240 or so years old. Soaking parts in vinegar and lightly brushing with a wire brush and steel wool to remove the rust. Still a LOT to do but I'm a history nut and have ancestors who fought in the Revolutionary War so although these muskets were half a world away in Nepal they are basically the same as what were used here with a few exceptions. Enjoy. Advice always welcome. More pics to follow as this project gets worked on.

Attachments

• Barrel as recieved and new stock.JPG
    Barrel as recieved and new stock.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 391
  • reciept & damaged lock.JPG
    reciept & damaged lock.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 401
  • damaged lock.JPG
    damaged lock.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 373
  • original wood-1.JPG
    original wood-1.JPG
    158.1 KB · Views: 345
  • original wood-3.JPG
    original wood-3.JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 356
  • aligning lockplate with barrel.JPG
    aligning lockplate with barrel.JPG
    176.7 KB · Views: 399
  • lock parts-2.JPG
    lock parts-2.JPG
    235.3 KB · Views: 372
  • finished lock ready to install.JPG
    finished lock ready to install.JPG
    293.4 KB · Views: 401
  • back of lock hammer cocked.JPG
    back of lock hammer cocked.JPG
    249.9 KB · Views: 387
  • back of lock hammer down.JPG
    back of lock hammer down.JPG
    265.1 KB · Views: 349
i like restoring old things like this, i am currently seeking parts for P1839. looks good

Done

Attachments

• IMG_3091.JPG
    IMG_3091.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_3090.JPG
    IMG_3090.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_3092.JPG
    IMG_3092.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 290
Pretty sharp looking. You did a good job on the restoration. Is it going to be fired or just use as a wall mount? If me, I'd have to try it out on a deer........

Pretty sharp looking. You did a good job on the restoration. Is it going to be fired or just use as a wall mount? If me, I'd have to try it out on a deer........
Just got some .69 caliber balls in the mail yesterday and rolling up some paper cartridges tonight. Now if the rain would stop...

Wow! Very nice!

What did you use on the wood?
Well now there's a funny story. I used Fiebings Medium Brown leather dye. I like it because of it's very thin viscosity and it penetrates well. 3 coats of that and 3 coats of Tru-oil.

Well now there's a funny story. I used Fiebings Medium Brown leather dye. I like it because of it's very thin viscosity and it penetrates well. 3 coats of that and 3 coats of Tru-oil.

Very nice job.

I had to stain a ramrod that I made to match the coloring of a 150+ year stock, and none of the commercial stains I had laying around were dark enough, so I ended up using a dark brown RIT dye that I had on hand. It came out close enough for a first try!

That's a pretty standard "restoration" formula. I like the same thing though I use either boiled-linseed-oil (BLO) or in some cases Tung Oil (modern WWII restoration). :thumb:

Good job on the musket!

LD

New project. Been looking at these "kits" for a couple of years or more and with the advice of the fine folks over on the British Militaria forum I finally bit the bullet and ordered one. If some of you don't know the story the owner of IMA found and purchased 55,000 antique weapons from the Nepal government that had been sitting in a palace in Kathmandu for well over 100 years. Seems they never threw away or sold anything. When their military got more modern guns they put the old ones away in the palace. With respect to the Brown Bess muskets they have a variety of choices. Complete guns or kits like I bought. Original East India Company markings on the locks or Gurkha marked locks. They wanted $500 more for the EIC marked locks and so I chose to go with the Gurkha markings. They were both made in the same factories by the same people so I couldn't justify the extra money. What arrived was a barrel still attached to what was left of a badly rotted and broken in half stock plus a bag with the lock and some other small parts. The first lock they sent was missing the bridle, the sear and the screw that holds them in. I assume it was being used for parts and was sent accidently. But IMA has some of the best customer service in the business and they sent a nice complete replacement and covered the shipping both ways. Also included is a new stock that reportedly came from India. Here are a few pics of the package I received as well as progress pics of where it's at currently. $700 is a lot of money but it's half the price of a Pedersoli repop and it's got history. Approximately 240 or so years old. Soaking parts in vinegar and lightly brushing with a wire brush and steel wool to remove the rust. Still a LOT to do but I'm a history nut and have ancestors who fought in the Revolutionary War so although these muskets were half a world away in Nepal they are basically the same as what were used here with a few exceptions. Enjoy. Advice always welcome. More pics to follow as this project gets worked on.

This lock, like almost every other original Brown Bess lock, has much better geometry than the Italian reproductions. The flint jaws should point sharply down toward the vent hole when in the fired position like your gun does to get the best sparks.
Why couldn't they have picked an original Bess to copy and make all those tens of thousands of copies of repros of that had the better geometry than whatever specimen they chose to copy?
It's not like they're that hard to come by.

You make such a good point about the innacuracies of repro items. It seems that quality control in design is not emphasized or checked by historians, or product engineers, but by artistic and marketing people. The reason for it is that it takes a lot of labor and time to design a prototype, and the pressures by senior management and the accountants of accelerating production to start the revenue stream override those of the quality control types. Often, the Project Managers' get a project assignment that truncates at the "develop and get to market" stage, and it doesn't take in to account the costs of the product life cycle. That's the fault of senior management, and it ultimately sullies the companies' reputations.

@TNBandit So how did the live fire go?
Sorry, it went well. I actually fired it on the 4th of July 2019. The first time it didn't go off so when I pulled the cock back and tried again I wasn't expecting it to work. It did and about knocked me on my ass because I wasn't expecting it. Cleaned it and hung it on the wall.

So no ball from the original Nepalese barrel?
Yes absolutely. Loaded it with 80 grains of Black MZ powder and a .69 caliber patched ball and let her rip. No clue if I hit anything. That wasn't the point.

Latest posts

Back