• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flinching?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And squeeeeeeze the trigger. Let the rife surprise you when it goes off
Did you ever hunt quail or woodcock?

When I do what you described, it’s because I jerked the trigger instead of lightly squeezing…..
These two are huge along with breathing control. I take a moderate breath, releasing about a 3rd and hold. The shot needs to be taken in no more than 3-4 seconds. If not, relax and start over. If you shoot while wanting another breath, you are already toast. SW

I’ve begun sighting in my recently-completed Traditions Kentucky flintlock kit rifle. Front sight doesn’t look 100% centered, but it was close enough to give it a go. As photo shows, all shots hit right of bull. (Target was at about 40 yds-max range for my eyesight, and plenty for woodland deer hunting.) My question is, if & when people flinch, is there a usual direction of the flinch? I’m a left-hand shooter, but am using right-handed rifle. I don’t think I flinch, but I DO notice the flame/whoosh/BOOM! Do I need to work on my sights or my shooting?
As silly as it sounds, I practice shooting the flintlock a lot when I’m not even on the range. Just in the garage or basement with the pan open, cock the firelock, focus on the front sight, control breathing, squeeze the trigger. Do this for a while, then when you’re in a safe area add some powder to the pan, and repeat- focus on front site, control breathing, squeeze trigger. After that you can try shooting with just powder down the barrel for blanks and eventually add ball into the mix. You won’t be seeing any color but the backstop on the target soon enough!

Latest posts

Back