• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Adding Patchbox to Finished Rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flash Pan Dan

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I was reading in Gunsmith of Grenville County, where Peter Alexander says he suspects that a few of the historic rifles had the patch box added after the rifle was completed. What do you more learned builders think? How prevalent was this and how hard is it to do?

I 'personlaize' my centerfires to my liking....and the flinters too....people haven't changed!
I suspect alot of those builders back then farmed out work alot...not everyone is skilled and has tools to do ALL of the woodwork, brasswork, engraving today...so when money was VERY scarce...i would think a silversmith could do up a PB and engrave it very well....and quick!

so yes.......my crystal ball sez alot of work was done later on....and by others~ :stir:

I won't include myself in the cadre of learned builders, though I've made enough mistakes to add up to a good education. :rotf:

I've done exactly one add-on patch box, an iron "hawken" style to a GPR. The biggest issue was getting the darn thing flush. When the middle was flush at each end, the top and bottom were still waaaaay proud. Setting it deeper so the top and bottom were flush would have meant having the middle waaaay too deep at the front and back.

No bending and contouring like you could with brass, so hours of filing and cussing. It worked, but part of my education was learning when "exactly one add-on" was plenty for my blood. :wink:

So is it acceptable to have a patchbox with a twist in it, so long as it sits flush on the stock when it's closed?

I suppose a few might have had a patchbox added but doing this is a total PITA and to do it right it requires refinishing the entire stock.

In their day, patchboxes were common. A good rifle was expected to have one. It could be plain or fancy but one would be there.

I think that explains why finding a original Pennsylvania rifle without a patchbox is a rare thing.

The Southern and Tennessee rifles on the other hand often were built without a patchbox.

I can think of at least 2 famous originals illustrated in numerous books that have patchboxes that were added during their working lives. One, a Revolutionary War era Lancaster longrifle by John Newcomer that has a later, Southern patchbox added that covers some of the carving. The other is an odd but fascinating Northampton early rifle, well made with folksy carving, with an extremely crude patchbox added later. It has been restored, I believe, to original condition.

Thank you Gentlemen, I have been told that it couldn’t be done or it is not worth trying. Or it was never done and trying to do so would lead to ruin. So I was surprised and gladden when I read that statement in Alexander’s book. I have a couple of rifles that I really like that I thought just don’t look right without a patchbox. I have a couple of others that for one reason or another don’t have patchboxes but look okay without. Kind of an ”˜eye of the beholder’ thing I guess.

Now I have to decide if I want to try it or if I should search for someone who would attempt it for me. I have a couple of old stocks that I will practice on and see how it goes. Thanks again.

My advice is to keep it simple. If installing a new hinged metal patchbox I would apply duct tape to the whole side of the stock that is receiving the patchbox, rub it down hard with a spoon, screw the patchbox sides and finial down, and inlet them right down through the duct tape, protecting the stock from rubs and scratches and etc. I would go all the way to finishing like this. At the last bit of fitting I'd undercut the edges of the inlet a tad more and tamp down the annealed sides and finial with wooden punnches and blocks to get them down flush with the wood. Zero filing/sanding/scraping/refinishing.

Rich, I like your reply. I also have a SMR by Kibler...Stock is finished...now I want a bean stock. I have had a stroke a while back giving me only a left hand to work with. Know any good, self-thinking finish carpenters?

Installing a patch box on a rifle wile being made is relatively easy. on a finished rifle, a lot can go wrong.
I have done three, the Hawken was not too difficult, the Jacob Dickert was very difficult.
When the rifle is in the gun making stage a slight over cut is reasonably easy to hide, in a finished rifle, NOT so easy.
So unless it is for a really good friend, I would pass on it.

I didn.t realize that this thread was 10+ years old, many things have changed as well as many wonderful friendships have evolved on this forum. Which I give thanks for.
It is sad when I realize that some friends are no longer with us, and I miss their guidance.
Pete G, I give you thanks for bringing this to mind.
Today I have a lot less hair, and walk kind of crooked, but I still love this pastime and value the comments from the people here.

Back