• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Plans and Inspiration

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K.G.

32 Cal
Reaction score
Reading through this forum has been a delight - and the source of many a rabbit hole. I'd been paging through looking for sources of inspiration and plans for a muzzleloader build down the road but darn near lost myself in a lot of unrelated but educational threads.

I've a long list of other projects before I get to building a gun - a new table and more shelves to name a few - but having some sources and inspiration is good for reading and study once the kids are down. The Gunsmith of Grenville County has been my latest bit of reading.

Where do you all find your inspiration? Do any of you use plans as a stepping-off point? Again, my own try is a bit of a ways off but always happy to learn an experienced worker's approach.

I study originals in person or in books or online. Then when something strikes my fancy I map out how to recreate it or something very similar, like the next gun off that gunsmith’s bench. Often this requires searching for, modifying, or fabricating some parts to match the original. When I know what barrel and lock I’ll use I draw a plan.

Reading through this forum has been a delight - and the source of many a rabbit hole. I'd been paging through looking for sources of inspiration and plans for a muzzleloader build down the road but darn near lost myself in a lot of unrelated but educational threads.

I've a long list of other projects before I get to building a gun - a new table and more shelves to name a few - but having some sources and inspiration is good for reading and study once the kids are down. The Gunsmith of Grenville County has been my latest bit of reading.

Where do you all find your inspiration? Do any of you use plans as a stepping-off point? Again, my own try is a bit of a ways off but always happy to learn an experienced worker's approach.
My first rifle scratch build was via trying to duplicate a factory build Kentucky I purchase from DGW. At that time I had no clue about detail, just that I wanted a Roman nose Kentucky. After that, I purchased a drawing by I believe Wm. Buchele for my second build. Since the start, I have used drawings and or existing rifles that have the feature I want to replicate.
Hope you don't wait too long to take the plunge. There is nothing more satisfying than hearing the flintlock you made go bang, especially if ya can hit your target 😂
Larry

My inspiration was handling my ancestors 40 caliber halfstock from the 1840's beginning when I was half as tall as the rifle. That led to trying to shooting it a few times where I became hooked on the smell and sound of black powder. I've been an addict for most of my life.

My inspiration was Foxfire #5 as a kid , then reading T.M. Hamilton books ,for the type of gun , trade guns , I love their history . Then for building it was Pryor Mountain Bill Newton s building manual and Herschel Houses VDO for the inspiration and knowledge to make a trade gun . After the first build the versatility and effectiveness of the gun set it all in stone ...

Attachments

• IMG_20231127_125319.jpg
    IMG_20231127_125319.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
My initial inspiration was visiting Williamsburg in 1976 (16 years old at the time...) for the Bicentennial and watching the gunsmiths at work. I vowed at that point I was going to build a rifle... Several years later I got a hold of a CVA Kentucky kit, built it, but was aware that it was not historically correct. I started reading Buchele and Shumway's book, got a Dixie catalog, and went from there!

inspired by the work a lot here do. my first was just what parts I could get cheapest and figuring out how to make them fit together. look at the pictures of the different schools and pick one you like. I really like Emmitsburg long rifles.

Attachments

• 3139.jpg
    3139.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 0
Check out the older Rock Island and James D Julia (now Morphy's) auctions. GB is mostly a waste of time for that sort of stuff. Some museums have web sites that are another source of eye candy if you can't visit in person. The European ones such as the Musee' d'Armee in Paris is great. The Met in NYC. The Cody museum.

But when it comes to actually building, they're a poor substitute for actually having the subject piece actually in your hand to study. But often that's all you can do.

Happy hunting!

Inspiration came from a variety of sources for this piece im working on. A combination of Spanish and French pistols of the period as it was a time where Spain was trying many French improvements.

Attachments

• 20231209_163716.jpg
    20231209_163716.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
A lot of beautiful rifles in this thread - there's something about a well done stock that I find particularly beautiful.

I've turned my eye to a French dragoon pistol recently. Such beautiful pieces to my eyes. More research to follow but I might take the lunge sooner rather than later if they keep my attention.

A lot of beautiful rifles in this thread - there's something about a well done stock that I find particularly beautiful.

I've turned my eye to a French dragoon pistol recently. Such beautiful pieces to my eyes. More research to follow but I might take the lunge sooner rather than later if they keep my attention.
Earlier pistols used a much greater banana shape lock, some even having the frizzen spring bottom tapped from the back. Loades of fun

I use plans for the general shape of the gun, from the lock panels on back. My main set of plans is the layout on the blank itself.

I find my inspiration from:
The work of others, past and present
My ancestors, who used flintlock arms out of necessity
The work I've been able to achieve

Attachments

• 10 1.jpg
    10 1.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 10 2.jpg
    10 2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
My initial inspiration was visiting Williamsburg in 1976 (16 years old at the time...) for the Bicentennial and watching the gunsmiths at work. I vowed at that point I was going to build a rifle... Several years later I got a hold of a CVA Kentucky kit, built it, but was aware that it was not historically correct. I started reading Buchele and Shumway's book, got a Dixie catalog, and went from there!
I was only recently aware that the many Brown Besses at Williamsburg came from the old (23rd) Royal Welsh Fusiliers stash; they were sold off to W-burg by some laird or duke or lord-something or other where they had been on display in one of those old castles or such. There's a book out that I bought, don't have it at hand, but it details the history of that. I met the author of the book at a large re-enactment at Brandywine a few years back. Just ordered my latest Dixie catalog (at $8! they held the line a long time!); have been ordering it since the '60's; wish I'd saved them, old ones are collectible!

Back