• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A Question About Selling a Handgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First, California, as bad as it is, has ZERO restrictions on the buying and selling of black powder firearms. Also, demanding that a cap and ball revolver be sent to an 01 ffl is simply ridiculous.

Stop trying to make it more difficult for those of us stuck in this state than it already is.
I am getting tired of these posts and trying to correct ignorance when it comes to CA, I have even posted the CA attorney generals rules on black powder, which by the way is the same as the Feds and people still insist on posting this stupidity

Say I sell an individual a black powder pistol , I ship to California. If that gun is later used in a crime, and and investigation shows it came from me, can you honestly say some anti gun prosecutors, or crime victims, won’t come after me in court? I guarantee New York State would , and Jersey. I personally will not risk it.

Wow. So, if in the unfortunate event your sold flintlock pistol was used in a shooting ( I know, it’s a stretch) and it wasn’t off your permit, the cops would come after you.
Big YES to that. That's why I wanted it off my permit.

I also have several that I would like to shoot, but have had for several years. Since I can't show point of origin, I can't get them on my permit. They're just display pieces

Big YES to that. That's why I wanted it off my permit.

I also have several that I would like to shoot, but have had for several years. Since I can't show point of origin, I can't get them on my permit. They're just display pieces
1698506772758.jpeg

This gets very convoluted and depends, at least in part, on your county sheriff's Dept and their interpretation of the law. In a nutshell, in NYS, you can own a black powder pistol without a permit. As long as you don't shoot it. If you are going to shoot it, you need a permit. Once it hits your permit, you can't get it off without showing where it went.

I learned this several months ago selling a flintlock pistol on here. Sheriff's Dept said because it was on my permit, it had to go through an FFL to be removed. Local gun store said it's not a firearm so no FFL involvement is necessary. I had already shipped it and was not interested in asking the purchaser to return it. In the end, the clerk from the sheriff's Dept called the gun store and accepted their input. She sent the paperwork to NYS police to remove from my permit and I heard no more about it.

For those wondering, in NYS, the county sheriff determines permit issuance outside NYC and LI. But, NYS police are the data repository and overall controller of rules and regs.

Layers of bureaucracy and rules. It's what we thrive on in NY. NY could make the process of ordering a pizza into a year long ordeal with cost overruns and policy changes that even a lawyer couldn't decipher.
Yeah. When I got my NYS CHP in’94 I got around the “buy it and leave it at the store until you get the permit” schtick by buying a Pietta 1860 and getting licensed to carry it concealed, though my judge only endorsed it for hunting, fishing, and target shooting. Added some unmentionables without any difficulty, and ended up moving to Virginia in ‘97. Much better system here. My family who are still up there have told me horror stories about the so-called “SAFE” Act… 😬

Jay

Say I sell an individual a black powder pistol , I ship to California. If that gun is later used in a crime, and and investigation shows it came from me, can you honestly say some anti gun prosecutors, or crime victims, won’t come after me in court? I guarantee New York State would , and Jersey. I personally will not risk it.
This is the kind of silly nonsense that Californians have to deal with.

It's not enough that we are beset upon by the tyrants who rule over us, we are also held hostage to the whims of those who think that just because their brains can conjure up some ridiculous scenario, that it will actually come true.

News flash: The black powder arms we use are not subject to ATF tracing because there is no real record of their sale. There are no 4473 forms to fill out (CA), no recording of serial numbers (CA), no background checks (CA), and no Dealer Record of Sale (CA), thus it would be very difficult indeed to find the original source of any of these guns. Also, unless you're making pretend laws, as some here tend to do, even antigun prosecutors cannot push the boundaries of their office by prosecuting some poor sap out of state who followed EVERY law on the books. And really, how many times are cap and ball revolvers, or for that matter, ANY black powder firearm, used in crimes or murders? I'd be willing to bet that the statistics (if any even exist) would show an infinitesimally small amount.

Of course, I'm talking about California - other states may differ.

Stop spreading FUD about California and Black Powder firearms.

It’s confusing ON PURPOSE. So most people will not bother, and the cops can slam you if they want to with flimsy evidence.
A lot of times they add in sneaky clauses about "concealed weapons", and some of those can include black powder firearms, depending on the situation. They can bypass "gun" laws by simply stating that you were in possession of a deadly weapon.

Ok,, but you need to explain that.
Let's just say I'm the shipper of the "sold" gun, I have received my funds.
I ship it direct to address,,
How(?) will there be "time and trouble" on my side???
That's the point,,,,,, if your answer is "not worth it" that's fine too,, but your not explaining the trouble.(?)
As a shipper, what's the trouble?

So far in this thread, I have seen, get a link providing an age verification of ID, and confirmation from the buyer of his required shipping address.

How do "I" as the shipper have trouble if I ship to CA,MA,NJ,NY,MD,CT,,,,,???????
Honest question,
I don't think they have any investigators out there trying to nail sellers of pre 1898 arms sent to states where it is unlawful for a resident to receive them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back