• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A question about Pietta Remingtons

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Choctaw

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I suddenly realized that it has been over a month since I last bought a Remington. I have the regular model with the 8 inch barrel. It has proven to be a very good and accurate shooter. I'm currently considering buying a Pietta 1858 Target Model. I don't reenact so correctness is not a primary consideration although that front sight kind of freaks me out a bit :shocked2: . I'm not really a paper puncher either. My "range" just happens to be whichever pasture I decided to shoot in that day. However, I am a hunter and so my guns do have to be accurate.

I've never handled the Target Model. My question is this: Are the sights on the TM worth the extra money, or should I just go with another Remington 8 incher...or even the 5.5 inch version? That would be sweet. Anyway, I would sure appreciate the input of anyone with experience shooting the Target Model.

By the way, please don't turn this into another hunter vs paper puncher thread.

Thanks.

I have a Rem .44 new model army with target sights.Use it daily on my ranch and as a backup for my mortimer whitworth for hunting .The sights have never been a problem in the holster( cavalry type with flap)I really like the accuracy and that you can zero the sights.I used to forget to hold off the target in the heat of the moment!!

I had a regular 8" barrel model for years loved it, also had a 'Buffalo' model with a 12" barrel and target sights that was easier for me to hit with. Also had a stainless 8" model that I couldn't see the sights for the glare, had to use black paint to shoot in daylight, hence marginal in the woods. Buy yourself a target model and let the detractors howl. You'll love it's practicality, especially if you invest in a new-fangled unmentionable cylinder. Tree.

treestalker said:
...Also had a stainless 8" model that I couldn't see the sights for the glare, had to use black paint to shoot in daylight, hence marginal in the woods...

Check your wife's fingernail polish. If she doesn't have anything in a bright orange, go the store and buy some. I've been using it for 40 years on various sidearms and rifles, from my duty weapon to my muzzle loaders. One application can last for years.

Also, on that stainless steel, get some fine sandpaper (400 grit, IIRC) and apply it to the exterior surfaces. It makes the stainless look more like a nickel finish. Test it on a small area first to see if you like it. I never actually finished my entire weapon, just polished the rear portion of the frame around the rear sight and around the back of the recoil shield.

Thanks, Bear Rider, I better buy some nail polish even if some think it's a gay idea :shocked2: Don't want two women mad at me ( my bride and CynthiaLee) :shake: I might not have any fingernails left when they get through with me! :slap: Bright orange does sound good though, in the woods. Turquoize might cause unwanted attention in certain venues. :redface: Tree.

Choctaw, I must recant my remarks about colors of nail polish, although offered in jest. It seems I have offended someone, although I can assure all I meant no harm. I guess I drove a taxicab in Beaumont, Texas too many years. I have truly seen it all. Tree.

Treestalker, not sure how your post could be offensive. I thought it was pretty funny. I think some people may look for things to be offended about. Maybe we Texans are just weird? :idunno:

I have had mine now for about 30 years and it is my most used match pistol.
I have fire lapped the barrel and built a new trigger for it and rear sight leaf.
I also line bore reamed the cylinder throats but could not tell that it shoot any more accurate than before.
It will win matches for you if you do your part. Mike D.

Turquoise would be perfect for the southwest, particularly amongst the drugstore cowboy set that have discovered Santa Fe and Taos. :grin:

M.D. said:
I have had mine now for about 30 years and it is my most used match pistol.
I have fire lapped the barrel and built a new trigger for it and rear sight leaf.
I also line bore reamed the cylinder throats but could not tell that it shoot any more accurate than before.
It will win matches for you if you do your part. Mike D.

Mike, what kind of rear sight leaf did you install?

Same basic profile as the original with the square notch a bit wider and deeper. Made it of spring stock and hardened.
I added machine headed windage adjustment screws and got rid of the Allen headed jobs making it easier to adjust although it is not as pretty. Mike D.

How effective do you find the . 44 percussion revolver to be on game and pests ? A run - down of powder charges , ranges , and types and sizes of animals would be of interest to some of us . Is black powder expensive or hard to get over there ? How about some info on the gun laws ?

M.D. said:
Same basic profile as the original with the square notch a bit wider and deeper. Made it of spring stock and hardened.
I added machine headed windage adjustment screws and got rid of the Allen headed jobs making it easier to adjust although it is not as pretty. Mike D.

Roger that. Thanks for the explanation.

smoothshooter, present backup is 8inch pietta rem new model army,effective to 50 yards, I have used it further on wounded animals(when any hit is a good hit) load the chambers full (about35 gr) muzzle vel 1000 ft per sec It is very effective in the role of a backup on impala /fallowdeer warthog bushpig (including a couple of aggressive ones) However for hunting as the primary weapon I limit the range to ensure effective hits and keep to smaller game Blackpowder in hellish expensive here and illegal to home make but we fanatics just kak en betaal (sh$t and pay in your lingo)

At about the time that Urban Cowboy became a big movie hit, my career took me to Sunnyvale and Silicon Valley. My first week there, I'm driving up El Camino, and noticed a pickup truck with a stock rack with lariats hung from the rack and a few hay bales in the bed. I noticed it because it was far too clean, indeed it appeared to be freshly washed and waxed. When it stopped at a light in front of me, I could see that the hay bales were apparently varnished.

Sitting there in my dusty old F-150, I began to have my first doubts about the PRK and whether or not this old country boy was going to fit in.

Back