• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A new high price for a T/C Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in 2010, a T/C Hawken sold for a little over $5,000+ (15% buyers premium) at the auction Highnoon held for guns and collectibles from the Roy Rogers & Dale Evans Museum. It brought that price not because it was one of Roy's favorites, but just because it was in Roy's museum collection and had provenance. A belt buckle of Roy's sold for $69,000, and an old pair of boots so worn out they had dollar sized holes in the soles sold for $2,400. You could probably mark that T/C up as bringing the most money of any T/C Hawken ever sold.

I stopped by 4 different pawnshops yesterday. All of them said they have not had any muzzleloaders come in, in over 2 years. One of the owners said he would only pay up to $50 for one. 2 other owners said they don't buy them at all, because there is no market for them. 1 owner put my name on a list to call if one shows up. So it is crazy to me that the pawn market in my area sees no value in any muzzleloaders, but I'm seeing crazy numbers on auction sites. It seems the Baby Boomer's were the biggest buyers from the 60's to now. So one would think the market would be flooded with handed down guns. It doesn't seem like the new generation of youngsters have much interest in them. I guess the man cave wall hanger market is driving the value up?
You wouldn't happen to be "Crockford from Rockford," as in northern Illinois, as in 10 – 12 miles west of Belvidere?

Anyway, I had a similar conversation at pawn shops in central Arizona. They'll accept them, but the maximum payout is usually $45 – $50. A real custom model MIGHT bring more, but don't hold your breath; & such a beauty wouldn't bring a payout anywhere near its actual value which we know these days would be inflated.

I believe you hit on a viable, underlying reason(s) behind the general lack of interest — generational. That's not to imply that it's rare to find an 18 year-old non-vulcanologist pursuing sulphuric aromas. Times change, I guess.

From reading here a long time, the early TC Hawken flint locks were a problem. The frizzens were lacking in quality and the cock geometry was at the wrong angle which led to short frizzen life.

The later locks were and improvement.

Seems that I read the Lyman and TC locks were interchangeable. Some folks were swapping locks to get reliability. Know you can get Lyman locks from OxYoke.
OxYoke had a frizzen available that would drop fit on a TC. My orginal frizzen was very mediocre for getting a spark, the Lyman drop in from OxYoke performed fabulously.

I am a big fan of Small Bores and paid $1,000.00 for a like new TC Seneca in 32 Cal. Tried for a long time to talk the seller down but he wouldn't budge. It is my favorite gun and I hunt and target shoot with it regularly. The same gentleman has another unfired Seneca in 32 Cal from the TC Custom shop and he wont even put a price on it but if he did I would seriously consider buying it. I guess any gun is what someone is willing to pay for it. I bought it because there were very few made and I love the Seneca and 32 cal guns in general.

The only folks who cry when things like guns actually appreciate in value are folks who wish they woulda when they shoulda 🤷
I sincerely hope each gets as much as they can for everything they sell. 👍
Thanks. I have a 'few' I am considering selling. Wife says "No. we don't need the money." Who am I to argue .. I love the gal and the guns. Dale

35.00 to 38.00? I only wish! Even with the exchange rate and the import taxes I find it too costly up here. However last summer I dabbled in making my own BP. It actually turned out rather well.
I’m paying $50 Canadian here in southern Ontario for a can of FFFG. It’s turning me into a powder hoarder.

I am a big fan of Small Bores and paid $1,000.00 for a like new TC Seneca in 32 Cal. Tried for a long time to talk the seller down but he wouldn't budge. It is my favorite gun and I hunt and target shoot with it regularly. The same gentleman has another unfired Seneca in 32 Cal from the TC Custom shop and he wont even put a price on it but if he did I would seriously consider buying it. I guess any gun is what someone is willing to pay for it. I bought it because there were very few made and I love the Seneca and 32 cal guns in general.
Exactly my point, but I guess you have to wait for six of them to sell on Gun Breaker to really tell what they are worth!!

A lot if it comes down to time of year and where you live. I've picked up some nice muzzle loaders for way less then they go for in auctions by going to gun shows. The bigger, the better. I always see at least a couple of vendors with BP rifles. 99% of the buyers are looking for ammo, black rifles or pistols. Any BP guns are usually languishing on the table and up for haggling. I picked up a nice CVA Moubtain Rifle which had been through my club's small show twice (a whole year) and then surfaced at the big show which cycles through here every two months. I finally made an offer for a very good deal. Found out it had been in the safe of the previous deceased owner since 2001. A really nice piece with no takers. (Mainly bought it because I couldn't bear to see it just holding down another table, lol.) I've picked up nice T/C Hawkins and an early Buffalo Hunter at the same show. There's just no interest now amongst the general public. If you have a gun show near you, give it a try. You may be surprised.

A lot if it comes down to time of year and where you live. I've picked up some nice muzzle loaders for way less then they go for in auctions by going to gun shows. The bigger, the better. I always see at least a couple of vendors with BP rifles. 99% of the buyers are looking for ammo, black rifles or pistols. Any BP guns are usually languishing on the table and up for haggling. I picked up a nice CVA Moubtain Rifle which had been through my club's small show twice (a whole year) and then surfaced at the big show which cycles through here every two months. I finally made an offer for a very good deal. Found out it had been in the safe of the previous deceased owner since 2001. A really nice piece with no takers. (Mainly bought it because I couldn't bear to see it just holding down another table, lol.) I've picked up nice T/C Hawkins and an early Buffalo Hunter at the same show. There's just no interest now amongst the general public. If you have a gun show near you, give it a try. You may be surprised.
We have four in our family now. No reason why we can’t have more. I’ll be looking for a flinter the next time we have a gun show in our area.

You probably just cut your own throat.

This is how the internet destroys everything.

Last edited:
I REALLY wish I would have gotten into this when prices were low.. now I'm searching for my first flintlock/first muzzle loader and it seems like I couldn't have picked a worse time...
LOL, prices are low!!! Wait until 2030 and you will be wishing you paíd a1000$ for TC Hawken! They ain’t making them anymore and currently there is no one with plans to start producing BP guns in the US in any fashion similar to what TC was doing!

Kind of glad I bought one several years back for $225. I don’t think it had ever been shot which is a shame as it shoots quite well.

I have a safe queen Patriot… wonder what I could for that on gun broker :cool:

It would go for about 50 dollars. I will give you seventy-five. Where do you want the check sent?

I guess I need to get my believer fixed. A T/C Hawken flintlock with "Presentation" wood just sold for over $1100 on GB!
I guess the new owner really like T/C rifles.
I bought one (caplock) about 5 years ago in excellent shape for $250.00. I'd always wanted the T/C Hawken. Not long after I bought the Renegade (flintlock) for not much more. I know everything is going up in price.

20211112_114524.jpg
20211112_114538.jpg

Back