• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A little dissapointed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
But happy to still be shooting. I was away from muzzeliading for years maybe 5.
Didn't realize my eyes could get that bad in 5 years. I've realized lately with two different guns that if I don't use a peep I cand shoot good groups or hit the squirrels head. Don't mind using peep for groups just hope I can see and hit the squirrels heads this fall.
I'm pretty dissapointed with muzzeloading supplies too. I got the last two Spence peeps log cabin had months ago. No ones making any new stuff seems like.I have no machining equipment or know how but if I could afford a Mill I would learn and make my own. I'm going to make a couple anyway but hack saw,, files,, accet and oxy torch and sanders. Hope I can make them look decent. I can get a mill for $1000 but don't think it's big enough for the task.

Last edited:
I understand that. It's harder but an enjoyment both. One thing that bugs me is I've already had to fill in 2 dovetails. Which I use to say would never happen. Never say never.LOL

You could try one of these marbles bullseye rear sights.They are not traditional but is better than not shooting at all
75321AEA-E5D7-4B5A-BA37-8BBD6EABB5E6.jpeg

I feel your pain. I was a pretty decent shooter for most my life, then as I started getting a "6" as the first number of my age, all my rifles lost their accuracy at once. At first I stupidly really thought my barrels were shot out, but all my rifles at once? Only then did it dawn on me I was old, I couldn't see rear sights anymore, and my days of shooting squirrels and bunnies in the head were over. Ragged one hole groups are now 2" or 3" patterns at 50 yards on good days. All except my Pedersoli Blue Ridge, which I continue to shoot well. I attribute that to the fact that the rear sight is fairly far down the barrel compared to others.

As age is overcoming us all our "hawkeyes" are failing us to the point we need extra help. I LOVE peep sights on some of my target BP rifles but leave the iron sights on my traditional guns for nostalgia's sake. So what if I can't hit a fly at 100 yards off the iron gate like Jed Clampett. :ghostly:

Eyes can get bad really quick. I've had cataracts removed and retina surgery on my dominate eye. I guess that was only "stop-gap" because I now have double vision. If you have any laurels go ahead and sit back on them as I had to do.

Back