• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

7F Powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paco97

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used this in their pan? I saw a guy on another forum talk about using it with good results. Is there any noticeable difference?

I believe FFFFFFFg is a flash powder for either fire-crackers or those really old time cameras...

Still, I would tend to think it would draw moisture from the air faster than FFFFg does...

Yeah, I've used it in the past and it works fine but not in a hunting situation where you may have a pan full for a while. It's literally like a sponge and if it's humid, it's a mess. For range work it's good but I never can tell the difference between 7F,4F,or 3F.
I don't think it's commercially available anymore anyway, I have 1/4 can of 7F and it's old Elephant powder.

I purchased some 7F a few years back - ended up giving it away because it drew moisture like a sponge in this Ohio climate ......

7Fg is so finely ground, that the graphite coating takes on a silver sheen, and powder does not look ' Black " in the sunlight. It really is used in firecrackers, and was the flash powder used by 19th century photographers. Very dangerous stuff, as it burns so fast. Makes a lousy prime, unless you live in the desert southwest, where the relative humidity is in the single digits.

I have been using 7f powder for a couple of years with no complaints but I got to talking to a couple of the shooters on the international team at Friendship. They use Swiss OA priming powder. They let me try some and it is noticably faster than my 7f which I thought was fast. The hang up is Swiss is $22. a can but a pound of priming powder last a long time. Im going to get some and see.

Berk

Hey Burk, haven't seen you in awhile. I have a couple cans of Swiss "null B'. Is that the same thing?

I've used Swiss NullB for a few years and love it. I'm told it is the same as 7F but I can't prove that. I do know it's very fast!. I've not had any problems with moisture, even hunting in the rain and snow. I do empty and clean the pan on a regular basis when I'm hunting. I had more problems with Goex 4F in humid conditions, would turn to soup. The NullB seam to burn so fast and hot it cleans the pan, leaving almost no residue.

Jon

Have not used it in wet weather but it sure does work great in dry weather in Texas for priming! I can vouch for that! Not an expert on it ... but when I first started with black powder flint a friend gave me some as he used it in competition. Super fast! :shocked2: I like it alot ... but it is more difficult to buy, and I can see where it would be a problem in humid conditions. :thumbsup:

Davy

Soundds like you are right. I guess null b sounds like OB with ear plugs in. Great stuff though, fast as a caplock.

Berk

Back