• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.62 Cal Tulle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all,
I have a .62 Cal French Tulle Fusil De Chase. I built it from a Woody Woodall kit years ago. I have not taken a deer with it yet and would like to. My current load is 65 grns 3F (Goex), .600 round ball, .015 ticking lubed with the yellow Bore Butter. What is the best deer load any of you have luck with? And at what range is it good for 50yrds or further? Thank you in advance.
All the best, Rodgers Ranger
Dump the Bore Butter. Better lubes are out there. You can make better than you can buy. Very easy. Dirt cheap.
Bore Butter’s target market is newbies that are still trying to figure it all out on their own and want convenience.

Last edited:
I do have a rear sight on my FDC ... rare at very best, but it sure makes it easier for me to shoot.

I have seen two FDC’s in museums in Brussels Belgium with rear sights. One was ornately engraved with wire inlays and it’s rear sight was a fairly robust looking one with a very wide, shallow groove that was almost a quarter of an inch wide ( in the notch ) with the outer left and right sides of the sight about as wide as the breech plug at it’s juncture with the rear of the barrel on the top flat.
Don’t remember much about the other one except it was a plainer gun with the sight near the breech of the barrel also. A little smaller than the sight on the above-mentioned piece.

Hello all,
I have a .62 Cal French Tulle Fusil De Chase. I built it from a Woody Woodall kit years ago. I have not taken a deer with it yet and would like to. My current load is 65 grns 3F (Goex), .600 round ball, .015 ticking lubed with the yellow Bore Butter. What is the best deer load any of you have luck with? And at what range is it good for 50yrds or further? Thank you in advance.
All the best, Rodgers Ranger

I used to have a CenterMark Tulle FDC in .62. Bought it in the late 80’s. Was a pretty good gun. Worked well with 75 to 85 grains of 2f or 3f and a .595 ball.
Sold the gun to buy and try a Brown Bess for a while. About 1990 I wanted another CenterMark and called Ray Woodall to order one. In a moment of poor judgement I sent him a check at his request for full payment in advance to speed things along.
Follow-up calls over the next few months went unanswered, or resulted in promises that my gun would ship in a few days. Finally, I found out from a couple of sources that Woodall had closed shop and declared bankruptcy, and I was screwed out of my $800.
Woodall claimed he had caught some of his guys doing drugs on the job and fired all but one or two. Then the remaining ones quit in protest, and he was on his own trying to complete orders.
Maybe true, maybe not. Don’t know.
Last I heard he was doing tour guide work for some kind of historic old-time railroad and and mine attraction locally sometime before he died.
Never got my $800 back. Bad deal all around.
In 2004 I ordered, and still have, a Paul Siebert CenterMark .62 . I guess Paul bought the rights to the company name and logo or something.
No problems dealing with Paul. Wonder if he is still making guns? When I last talked to him years ago he was operating a small vineyard and built a few FDC’s over the winters when the vineyard business was not taking up a lot of his time.

Last edited:
I have seen two FDC’s in museums in Brussels Belgium with rear sights. One was ornately engraved with wire inlays and it’s rear sight was a fairly robust looking one with a very wide, shallow groove that was almost a quarter of an inch wide ( in the notch ) with the outer left and right sides of the sight about as wide as the breech plug at it’s juncture with the rear of the barrel on the top flat.
Don’t remember much about the other one except it was a plainer gun with the sight near the breech of the barrel also. A little smaller than the sight on the above-mentioned piece.
Boy would I like to have pictures of those.

The first deer I got with a muzzleloader was with a .62 smoothie. I used .595 ball from a lee mold, no sprue, and tumbled them so they had what I called a 'random symmetry' of dimpling, .024" pillow ticking and 80 gr's of ff. I spent a lot of time and different combo's getting to that load but once there I was very confident out to eighty yards. I don't recall the exact yardage, probably between 55-65 yards, but when the smoke cleared I saw him take two steps and drop. The ball hit exactly where I aimed and took all the plumbing off the top of the heart.
Robby

Back