• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

50Cal. Ball?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oneshot

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok in 40 years I have never hunted with a 50Cal. PB always with 54Cal.

Going to take a 50Cal. out next week,should I expect just as good preformance out of it as the 54Cal. on Deer?

oneshot

put it where it counts and you wont be disappointed. They work just fine. You have just a little less leeway than with a .54, but you probably wont notice any difference on anything as small as deer.

Until I started ML hunting last year I took 10 roedeer with the .50 PRB. It works really perfect. I think the .50 is "The Deerball" if you don't have to shoot too far.

Regards

Kirrmeister

You might have to shorten your shots, assuming you ever took long shots to begin with. My personal limit was 75 yards with my .50. I took the deer in my profile picture with my .50 at 40 yds. He stumbled 20 yds before falling.

Trench said:
You might have to shorten your shots, assuming you ever took long shots to begin with. My personal limit was 75 yards with my .50. I took the deer in my profile picture with my .50 at 40 yds. He stumbled 20 yds before falling.

Well truth until last week my longest shot ever was 100 yards.But last week I had a very Big Buck walk out over 100 yards,put the Sights to the top of his Shoulder,and killed him.But most my shots have been far less.

Thought my Season was over with 4 Deer.But my Son is wanting to go and I was going to take him to a Honey Hole I found,thought I might as well do some killin,thought why not try this rifle.

But anyway thanks Guys.

oneshot

Trench said:

I also limit my shots w/my .50 to around 75 yds, mostly due to vision limitations. I would have to have a full side profile standing still shot at 100 yds before I would take the shot. and then a nice rack. I once shot a trotting large doe through fairly thick but small brush at 40 yds w/my .50 and wound up with a long track-down. don't want to do that again.

Amazingly the .54 ball has 26% more mass than the .50 ball. The .50 just isn't a .54 no how. BUT with good shot placement the .50 does just fine on 200# deer. The last two deer I hit with the .50 round ball dropped where they stood. They's perfect projectile performance no matter WHAT caliber or delivery system.

I like the little extra margin the .54 gives for the brushy cover I hunt in with my flinter. I seldom see a whole deer and with the inevitable random twig strike the greater mass of the .54 reduces deflection. At least that's what I have convinced myself to believe. Even then I never try to "bust" through brush if it's obscuring the deer's chest.

As others have mentioned. I think the .50 round ball is a 75 or 80 yard & closer proposition. The .54 I'd take to 100 yards if all was hotsie totsie with the shot set-up and I had a good rest. I've had shots from 10 to 50 yards with the .50, so you see it doesn't slow me down a bit.

I've stretched my .54 T/C Renegade past 100 yards only once and that was on a buck that ambled in towards my ground blind and bedded in the direction over my right shoulder about 115 paces away. It took me all of 20 minutes to twist around and get a good rest. That was the only time I ever appreciated the double set triggers while hunting.

That was a lot stouter load than I currently use in my .54 flinter and I'd much prefer half that distance now. Who wouldn't?

Latest posts

Back