• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My new to me "Bush Buster"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used a stubby pencil and a note pad...just like in the old days of testing aircraft!

I recommend the following:

Pick a max distance
Pick a desired ftlbs of energy at your max distance based upon your game
Pick an acceptable level of accuracy at your sight in distance.

Mine was 3" or less 100 yard sight in with 125 yards max distance with a minimum of 1200 ftlbs of retained energy at 125 yards, IN A CARBINE USING HUNTING SIGHTS (Williams ghost ring fire sights) in a 58 cal or 54 cal

It boiled down to a 23" to 24" 54 cal using 110 grs of T7 FFFg with a 450gr Plains, a 485gr No Excuses or a 525 gr No Excuses bullet with either a 1:32 for the two lighter bullets or a 1:38 twist for the 525 gr. coming out at 1500 fps to 1580 fps MV depending on gun and bullet. Those guns and bullets all met or exceeded my parameters.

I have a 1:32 twist 22" that meets the parameters also.

Last edited:
I ordered up a box of the pre made Maxi Balls offered by The Log Cabin Shop to give a try. If they work, I'll use my mould to make a bunch more. Looks like I'm going to burn some powder/caps having fun finding what the ole girl likes. :)
Just received a pack of .54 caliber wads to put in my .50 New Englander under a Maxi Ball. I've always gotten good results without wads but most folks swear by them, so, looks like I'll be giving them a try. Can't hurt I reckon.

Just received a pack of .54 caliber wads to put in my .50 New Englander under a Maxi Ball. I've always gotten good results without wads but most folks swear by them, so, looks like I'll be giving them a try. Can't hurt I reckon.
So these wads just go over the powder and the Maxi Ball sits on top, correct? Now are the wads lubed or dry?

Here in OR. where I do most of my hunting, I see deer more often than not, under 75yds. I chewed on it a bit, and it almost got parted out but, I just had to have her! T/C Hawken .50cal w/23" barrel. I polished up the brass a bit and wiped the stock down and she's a real beaut! I dubbed her "Little LouLou". I am waiting on the rear peep aperture from TOTW. I got both sizes to see how my eyes will handle the Peep sight. Anyway, she's going to make real neat bush gun for the ORBushman. 😁 tagged: @Splitear

View attachment 254366
Really nice looking rifle. I like the long rifles but, for hunting, I'm always down with a shorty. Just took delivery of the new to me New Englander in .54. if she's a shooter it will be my main deer gun moving forward. The last rifle I bought before that one was a little CVA Frontier with a 24 inch barrel. Can't beat a short barrel in the brush. Also have a Traditions Deer Hunter with a 14 inch barrel I might do a little doe hunting with...

Here in OR. where I do most of my hunting, I see deer more often than not, under 75yds. I chewed on it a bit, and it almost got parted out but, I just had to have her! T/C Hawken .50cal w/23" barrel. I polished up the brass a bit and wiped the stock down and she's a real beaut! I dubbed her "Little LouLou". I am waiting on the rear peep aperture from TOTW. I got both sizes to see how my eyes will handle the Peep sight. Anyway, she's going to make real neat bush gun for the ORBushman. 😁 tagged: @Splitear

View attachment 254366
I've seen a couple TC Hawkens online for sale over the past few months with shorter barrels. It's a good look. I bet that thing shoulders like a pro.

I am very fond of this one. T/C White Mountain carbine with 85 grains Swiss FFG, a homemade felt wad (soaked as always in 50/50 Ballistol-water mix), and a home cast Lee 250 grain R.E.A.L. bullet. It has a musket cap nipple for a little extra uumphh in rainy weather. I have taken quote a few deer with this gun in the Georgia thickets.

Attachments

• White Mtn carbine full .jpg
    White Mtn carbine full .jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Hey all, if I wanted to add a .45 caliber barrel to this stock, do I need to change anything out?

View attachment 254366
Beautiful Hawken! I had the exact same rifle when I lived and hunted in Oregon. Picked it up at The Gun Works in Springfield.

If you are still hunting up and down in the mountains, be sure to secure the ramrod really well.

Ask me how I know lol.

No not yet. Been thinking of just melting them down and casting roundballs.
I wouldn’t do that… I’ve used them in a few different Roundball and combination twist rifles. Generally they shoot as well as ball. Sometimes a wool wad or card wad is required but they will shoot and hit harder than ball. I still have a few .54 ball-ets left and really wish they hadn’t discontinued them.

Hey all, if I wanted to add a .45 caliber barrel to this stock, do I need to change anything out?
Not really… they usually drop right in. I do have a New Englander barrel which will only fit one of my stock and lock combinations. But that’s a tolerance stacking anomaly, happening once in 50 years isn’t bad…

you can use them either way. i get the lubed ones. load powder, bump the butt to settle powder in the flash /breech, insert wad into bore, conical over the top and seat. wads help accuracy, especially with the heavier loads.
That’s the way, uh huh uh huh, they like it. Uh huh uh huh.
Apologies to the Beegees… and for putting an ear worm in all your heads. 😂

Last edited:
I don’t remember what the barrel size on this one was, but it’s either 1” or 15/16” across the flats. If you find another TC or Green Mountain barrel that measures the same it should drop right in.

Latest posts

Back