• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

October 2020 Postal Match - Squirrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
October Squirrel Hunt Target Final Results

This was another difficult target because of the negative point areas. For some reason negative areas act as a lead round ball magnet. I hate-em!

There were 13 shooters who made it out to shoot at least once this month! Thanks for taking the extra effort involved to put this target in you shooting sequence and mailing it in to be scored and reported here.

Professor flintlock was high score for the third month in a row. I bet he cooks as well as he hunts. Ames came in second and Josephg third. Professor flintlock wrote some comments on his target that I have decided to post as an end *Note at the bottom of this post. He also suggested posting pictures of the top three targets which I will also attach.

Rifle Top 3 Scores​

Member​
Score​
Professor flintlock
25​
Ames
18​
Josephg
15​

Rifle All Shooters w/Remarks​

Member​
Score​
Remarks​
11th corps
13​
CVA .45 percussion, .440, 60 gr. OE 3f, pt patch.
Ames
18​
.50 cal, 50 gr 3f
Cankeney
0​
Chambers Early VA.62 cal, .610, 90 gr Graf 2f, .022 pt w/TOW mink oil. 42” 1:72 Rice bbl.
Flinter 1977
0​
.32 Pedersoli PA flint w/ 42” barrel, .310, 25 gr Graff 3f & sows, T/C patch
Grenadier1758
-12​
.36 SMR flint, L&R lock .350, 35 gr 3f -4f prime, .018 patch, moose milk, 32” barrel, 1: 48.
Josephg
15​
.38 Original Old Picket rifle, 15 gr 3f, peep sight
Nessmuk
-25​
.45 parts rifle, 40 gr 3f, .440
Professor Flintlock
25​
32, Vincent – flint ,32 gr 3f, .319, beeswax, tallow & bear oil lube. Green Mtn. bbl, peep sight non-adjustaable.
Richard Dittman
10​
.50 TC Hawken 55 gr 2f, Green Mountain bbl.
Robertirvine
0​
.45 Perdosoli KY, 45 gr 3f, .445
russellshaffer
-2​
.45 Juker Ky
Silky921
-10​

Pistol All Shooters w/Remarks​

Member​
Score​
Remarks​
Maven
33 (20 yd)​
ROA (Rugar Old Army?) 25 gr Goex 3f, wool wad, adapted WC (home cast), 7-1/2 bbl
Russellshaffer
-10​
CVA .45 KY

*Note from Professor flintlock:
No splinters in my squirrel stew! 68 years old, 5 heart attacks, 22 stints, pacemaker difibulator, cardo mems implant – not bad eh! Doesn’t anybody shoot on this forum?

View attachment 48971

Not to be a jerk, I'm more than willing to give a few pointers to improve your shooting. If you want help let me know. Coached a guy in Pa. Couldn't hit squat . The next monthly shoot he was second . Real improvement now he really enjoys going to shoots. It's fun to shoot ,but more fun to win. Learn the basics and practice. Professor Flintlock.

Not to be a jerk, I'm more than willing to give a few pointers to improve your shooting. If you want help let me know. Coached a guy in Pa. Couldn't hit squat . The next monthly shoot he was second . Real improvement now he really enjoys going to shoots. It's fun to shoot ,but more fun to win. Learn the basics and practice. Professor Flintlock.
What would be your top three suggestions?

What would be your top three suggestions?
Shooting starts from the feet up. Feet with of your shoulders perpendicular to the target. If right-handed ,left hand on the fire arm, elbow under the gun. Right elbow even with your shoulder. Pull the gun into your shoulder. Take a full breath while bringing the gun to the target. Bring the front sight onto the target. Easier to bring the rifle down than push it up. Take another breath and let half of it out as you aguire the target . Put pressure on the trigger while lowering the sight onto the target. Keep your hold on the target until after the gun fires. This is called hold through. Alot of shooters raise their head before the ball even leaves the barrel blowing the shot. Try to mount your rifle the same every time putting your cheek on the same spot on your stock. You can practice at home by putting a spot on the wall and practice trigger control target aguire ment and your stance. You don't have to fire your gun to practice. Just don"t cock the hammer. If you have a set trigger all the better. Make sure your rifle is unloaded!!! Remember perfect practice makes perfect. Now all you guys know the secrets of offhand shooting I expect you to beat me soon! Oh yeah always focus on the front sight not the target. Professor Flintlock.
.. .

Shooting starts from the feet up...
I agree wholeheartedly! It comes down to focus and concentration which, for me, begins with loading sequence and focusing on the shot placement while loading. It’s all about the fundamentals! I understand this but I’m not a great shooter. However, I’m working on it every chance I get. Which isn’t often enough. 😕

I get a kick out of many conversations on Facebook, and other sites, which focus on either the powder charge or the projectile. While they are certainly part of the equation, it seems that many folks today miss, or assume, so much more.

Back