• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.40 for deer??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adkmountainken

40 Cal.
Reaction score
i live in NY and .40 is not legal to hunt deer with just wondering those who do use a .40 for deer what you think. would love to hear about your deer load and shot placement. my main deer rifle is a custom .45

I’ve killed a few with a 40 caliber flintlock. Load was 60 grains of goex, 016 patch and a 390 round ball cast by me. I kept my shots close app 40-60 yards. If you put the ball right behind the front shoulder and keep the shots broadside, they don’t run too far. Shot placement is everything as well as practicing and knowing your firearm is very important as well.

The few tick toters i have killed with my Tn. Poor Boy .40 i used .395 prb's. My load was 65 gr of 3 F Goex my shots were less than 50 yards. Most were lung shots with 4 or 5 base of neck or centered white throat patch in their neck. I think i have clobbered 15 or 16 with it.
that is enough dead proof that it works! but there will be some that will fight tooth and nail that it is too small! while the whole time never trying it for themselves, and some never even shooting deer with anything ML related. but they will pretend to know for sure it is way to small,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

.40 is a fine deer rifle and legal in my area. My load is 60 grains of 3F GOEX, .390 round ball with a thick patch. As with any caliber, range and shot placement are the deciding factors. Typically, I hunt in thick woods and limit my shots to ~50 yards. I have killed several deer and pigs with the .40.

Know your limitations,
DanL

I think it takes a person who does not the allow the deer to make them shoot. You need to get a good shot not worry about the deer getting away. Lots of people feel pressured to make the shot no matter. Not a good process, i have killed many of them through the years. I take my time get a good clean standing shot or i pass on them. Killing power of a .40 is a above a .410 slug but not too much more.

I have killed several whitetail and 1 mule deer with the 40. Used 65 grs 3f and patched 395 ball. Keep your shots at 50 yds or less and don't shoot unless you have a clear shot. It works fine.

By the 1880's deer were all but exterminated in Ohio by hunters using rifles under .40 caliber.

A .40 will kill a deer, I've done it several times. However, if I was going specifically after deer, especially the larger ones we have around my geographical area, I would prefer something bigger. .40's were used extensively in the past for most everything, but that is more a product of saving lead/powder, rather than efficiency. While much game was killed, how many others were mortally wounded to run off and die. We have ready access to shooting supplies, and don't really have the need to make a pound of lead and powder last for a year and a half, because the nearest supply is 37 days away, walking through potentially hostile enviroments. Neither are most of us limited to one rifle for all uses, as our ancestors quite often were. I am aware shot placement is of paramount importance, as I once witnessed (after the deed was done) a large 10 point buck slayed by a Crossman 760 BB-gun. A dumb 12 year old boy got excited while walking his property, and shot the buck with the only gun he had with him. That BB, going maybe 600 fps, slipped right between the ribs, entered the heart, and dropped that deer in his tracks. A .40 will kill the largest deer with cool patience and a the ability to place an accurate shot, but in this day, there are better choices.

@PastorB several good points for consideration, IMO.

If one gun is a limitation, go with a 50. I've heard rumors that they can effectively take squirrels and rabbits 🐇.

this is what a 40 will do to a block of lead at 50yds. 55gr. of 3f goex, like i said, it ain't gonna bounce off,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
40cal lead 2.jpg
40 cal. lead 4.jpg
40 cal lead 3.jpg

Back