• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.45 cal. Vincent/ Ohio rifle for deer?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don't hunt anymore, but I am curious to hear opinions regarding the viability of .45 cal. Vincent/Ohio styled rifles for deer sized game (where legal...).

It may be more of a capability vs. practicality discussion. Either way, I'd be interested to hear opinions.

Thanks in advance!

A .45 is a .45 and fully capable of taking a deer, no matter the configuration. I happen to like the Vincent style Ohio guns and have made a percussion in .36. If I get the time I plan to make a flint version in .45 for that very purpose.
Robin
Robin,
Thanks for your response!
I too, am a fan of the Vincent pattern. It seems as though you don't hear too much about their use in the field - but maybe that's just me not paying attention.
With all due respect, I have built four of them, all .45 cal.: two full stocks, two half stocks - one of which is a flintlock.
Here's hoping you can find the time...

Hey!
Thanks for your responses!
As often happens in my case, I most likely didn't ask the right question.
I have no qualms about the adequacy of the .45 cal. on deer. My concern is whether the Vincent/Ohio platform is robust enough to handle what would be considered .45 cal. hunting loads as a standard load. (yeah, I get it - one guy's hunting load might be another guy's plinking load). I'm wondering if problems might arise - what comes to mind is accelerated wear similar to the eventual frame stretching in a smaller to medium sized revolver being fed a steady diet of magnum loads even though the revolver is chambered for it. Anyone had experience with this?
Maybe it's a mute point - but, I was curious.
Thanks again!

I've used a .45 on Red Deer in NZ and had no problems. One was a self build with a Numrich Barrel - a 'generic' half-stock. Another was an Ohio I built with the help of Brian Scott. I had a Vincent 45 - Douglas Premium Barrel again with Brian's help and some input from Maurice Taylor. I used the Ohio in Madrid in 1987 and the Vincent in Pforzheim in 1989. Don't feel undergunned with a 45!!

.45, as talked about above are good deer killers. The Ohio style was the new gun style coming in to being of shorter barrels and half stocks.
Like SMR and Saint Louis guns it was a local variation
I like long guns for looks, and not really drawn much to the Vincent style, but there is no advantage to long over short.
These are a classic that you’ll love

I started hunting deer with a .45 T/C Seneca shooting maxi hunters and if memory serves, 70 grains of Pyrodex. Never had any problem killing deer, nor did the gun seem to have any trouble handling it and the Seneca is about as lightly built as anything.

Latest posts

Back