• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

3fff caliber?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before I blithely go off and give you an answer to your question, I need to know more about what type of firearm your are firing a load driving a 58 caliber projectile. The answer will be different if you are using a 1 1/8" across the flats rifle or a 0.577" Enfield replica.

You have to be aware that 3fg develops more pressure than 2fg. So, right off you need to know to use less powder. Because 3fg develops more pressure, I don't recommend use of 3fg if you are shooting a 58 caliber minie ball. The higher pressure will blow out the skirt and result in significant loss of accuracy.

I use 45 grs. behind a 530 gr. .58 cal. minie in my Zoli/Zouave. Check out the NSSA Forum as a large number of skirmishers use 3F.

Sorry....you don't get to pick which powder....the gun does..each gun has it's own personality,,,fortunately ,, for me my 50's, my 58 and my 62 all love 3fff! jus gotta try things if it works better great! if not,,plan b,, :wink:

In your Investarms .58 using 3f should not be too much of a problem as there is still enough barrel wall thickness to take most reasonable charges, however as R.C. stated each rifle has it's own querks as to what kind of diet it prefers.

I have an Investarms Hawken in 58 caliber 15/16ths barrel. When I asked about charges I was told to stick to ff powder and not to load too heavily as the thing is practically a bomb with such a thin barrel. What size barrel do you have?

Kansas Volunteer said:
I have an Investarms Hawken in 58 caliber 15/16ths barrel. When I asked about charges I was told to stick to ff powder and not to load too heavily as the thing is practically a bomb with such a thin barrel. What size barrel do you have?

I have one also and the statement has no merit. The gun is plenty safe. Charges may not be slightly lower than ones with 1" (I don't know)flats but there is plenty of material to be safe. I have never heard of one blowing up.

I use 3F in everything from .32 to .62. Some shot loads seem to work well for me using 2F; but that's just some.

I use nothing but 3f in all my black powder guns to include a .62 trade gun, .62 belt pistol and a 45-70 Hi-wall replica.

Preconceived ideas will just frustrate you.....

Each patch-ball-lube-barrel-twist..has a voice....

If you truly truly listen....they speak.....

Listen to that "voice" it starts as a whisper...

Go fore and cloverleaf...........

b21ba757-5048-4e8a-b5a4-6612057b0573_zps9c440e93.jpg

I have .40 cal all the way up to 10 gauge and use fffG for all of them including priming. It's my one-stop-shop for black powder. I say why make things complicated if you don't have to. Just my 2 cents.....Mick C :hatsoff:

The only reason for making things more complicated I can think of is, some guns work better with a different powder granulation.

This is especially true with the larger bore guns and some have found that using 2Fg powder instead of 3Fg powder improves their group size or the size and uniformity of their shot pattern.

FFg in the barrel and FFFFg in the pan .32 thru 12 ga. Simple and works.

When I win FFF it's traded, sold, or goes on the prize blanket.
TC

My nephew has a English sporting rifle with a d wt. .58 cal. Rice bbl. and he uses 90grs. 3f in it. I use 90grs. 3f in my .54 c wt. Rice bbl. Dan.

Back