• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Considering trying some 3F in my .54 GPR, anyone out there ever do so?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 3 rifles in .54 like 2F but I spent a lot of time finding the sweet spot for each using 2F. I tried 3F a few times but didn't do the hunt for the sweet spot so it shot poorly in my rifles, I am sure if I had done the work to find that sweet spot for each rifle it would have done just fine.

I shoot 3f in my TC and my GPR 54s. 70 in the renegade and 80 in the GPR. I have some 2f but because of how good 3f does I have never seriously tried it.

Listings?
The general recommendation is for anything over 50 caliber to use 2F. Pretty sure this is the first time I have ever used it and I have never had any problems with 3F out of any of my ML. All of my .50's has performed very well with 3F and most likely the .54 I used to own. However, its been so long now since I owned that rifle that although I'm pretty sure I shot 3F, I cannot swear to that.

I will be giving 3F a try out of this .54

The general recommendation is for anything over 50 caliber to use 2F. Pretty sure this is the first time I have ever used it and I have never had any problems with 3F out of any of my ML. All of my .50's has performed very well with 3F and most likely the .54 I used to own. However, its been so long now since I owned that rifle that although I'm pretty sure I shot 3F, I cannot swear to that.

I will be giving 3F a try out of this .54
Don't worry about "listings" this is a simple activity, with a wide margin for error, it isn't metallic cartridge reloading. There are posts and topics all over this forum about using various grades of powder in the full spectrum of calibers and gauges of guns. What one quickly learns (if one can put aside dogmatic adherence to old myths) is that the old mantra about 3f for guns smaller than .50 caliber and 2f for guns larger than .50 caliber is nonsense.
Unless one has modern gun expectations of their muzzleloader and/or a case of "magnumitis."
Of you have a good load with a coarser powder for a particular gun, drop it about 10 grains as a starting point for a finer powder, maybe 15 if it is already a pretty stout load.

My slow twist gpr in .54 shot very well with .530 ball, .015" patch and 85gr of FFFg goex. However it shot excellent if I used the same components and 100gr of FFg goex. Either one was whitetail accurate, but the FFg just a bit tighter groups.

Works great in my .54 cal when I can get it.

Attachments

• 7034D53A-09BC-4D98-898C-30908EB178A1.jpeg
    7034D53A-09BC-4D98-898C-30908EB178A1.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back