• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Going to cast some RB

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am in the process of cutting up some lead sheeting from an old Air Force radar shop I was able to scrounge years ago, it is pretty close to pure lead. I am going to drain my 20:1 I use for the Sharps 45 2.1" and my handguns, I give this soft lead a try with some 58 cal RB, a few 50 cal Lyman 370gr minis, and hopefully some .490 RB when the used mold I purchased arrives. I have been casting for several decades, first 50 caliber round balls in about 10 years or so.

Tip; Run it a bit hotter than your used too. Not a lot, just a little.
Nobody can really make the call for the perfect melt temp, because the pour has to do with your ambient temp.
But generally, hotter than the alloy's works better for RB and 58 is big,,
My best pours are spring and fall with temp's in the 50-60's and the melt running 750'ish,
,it's all about the rhythm, the cadence.

Last edited:
Going to have to go even softer, the 58s are dropping at .576, given the rough bore in my "Zoave", I was hoping to get under .575. With my pistol alloy they were .5775.

Latest posts

Back