• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.36 Rem. and .36 LR?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elkeater

45 Cal.
Reaction score
My 3 rifles and kentucky pistol are .54 bored.
In the near future I will have more time to play, to expand the variety.
Would a 58 Navy and a .36 long rifle use the same ball. Is there a lead shot size that works?

it is as stated. now if the rifle was a .38 you could use the same ball for both. I have in the past taken shot out .36rifles and rebored them to .38. in fact I have 2 that are going to be come .38's

I've thought of this too but figured the rifle would need to be a .40 to fire a patched .380" ball using a thicker patch.

Typically for sure, which is why I've wondered if a thick enough patch would shoot a .380" ball. I have read of people who have looser fitting patches where finger pressure is plenty, which might be more ideal for small game shooting where a tighter fitting combo needing a short starter aren't necessary as anything beyond 25-30 yds is somewhat far.

It's a funny thing, my large bore rifles seem to be more particular about having a thick patch, where my small calibers,(32&36), shoot just fine with a thin patch. However, there is one big difference, and that is the rifling. Those large bore round bottom rifling, like the thick patches and the small bores have more lands and shallow rifling. It seems like you just have to find the one that works.

One other thing, I have checked the accuracy of both a tight patch compared to one just a bit looser and I have hunted with the accuracy patch loaded to start the hunt and have a looser patch for a follow up shot. It's easy to tell the patches apart. My accuracy patch is solid white and the looser patch is stripped blue. I know this sounds like a lot of extra trouble, but I'm a little particular in a hunting situation vs. just target shooting. The thing that made me do this was, I had shot a turkey, and of course the first thing to do is reload. In the excitement of the moment, I broke the ram rod off half way down the barrel. Fortunately I got the turkey, and did not need a follow up shot. I usually carry a range rod in the truck, just because of this one incident.

This might be a little off topic, but for the OP, I would match the ball and patch, for each gun and not try to cover them with the same combination

I tend to run a thicker patch in the big bores and thinner in the smalls, too. But with standard rifling in both.

Dunno if this has a thing to do with your shooting, but for me there's one other factor in that:

I'm shooting comparatively lighter charges in the small stuff, allowing me to use the thinner patch without blowing patches. I tend toward the upper side of charges (compared to some other folks) with my larger calibers, and thin patches just get shredded.

rodwha said:
I've wondered if a thick enough patch would shoot a .380" ball.

I don’t have a .40 caliber muzzle loader, but thick enough patch should shoot a .380

Example
I have a few .36 caliber guns that I have shot .350, .343, .340, .330, .310 diameter bullets in.
I shoot more .330 but .343 and .314 do shoot best in my 36 guns
I just use different patch thickness.

William Alexander

I have shot .380 balls out of my .40, groups do open some but depends on what I am shooting at whether it matters or not.

gongs or a deer at 25 or 50 yards no matter. X-rings at same big difference meaning placing or losing in a match.

BrownBear said:
I tend to run a thicker patch in the big bores and thinner in the smalls, too. But with standard rifling in both.

Dunno if this has a thing to do with your shooting, but for me there's one other factor in that:

I'm shooting comparatively lighter charges in the small stuff, allowing me to use the thinner patch without blowing patches. I tend toward the upper side of charges (compared to some other folks) with my larger calibers, and thin patches just get shredded.
I am also using small loads in the small calibers, and may or may not be using reduced loads in the larger calibers. Both the rifling and load does have an effect on which patch thickness is needed. So, yes I agree with your statement.

It's always been small calibers for small game and large calibers for larger game for me. Keeps things simple. :dead:

All single shot "pistols" (like your Kentucky) use the same size ball as rifles of the same caliber.
"Revolvers" are the ones that are different, needing oversize ball to load in the cylinders.

I never have understood why they call a revolver a 44 when it uses a 45 caliber ball or a 36 when it uses a 38

Back