• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.36 Mowrey Squirrel Rifle - revisted

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weirdjack

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I finally had the time to take the little .36 squirrel rifle out to the gun club this past Saturday. As you may recall, my step-father had given it to me a month or two ago. I had given it to my Mother as a Christmas present back in like 1978 or '79.
I figured I'd just take it out and see what it would and would not do. I cast up a bunch of .350 balls and headed out to the Columbus Muzzle Loading Gun Club.
All I had handy was 2F powder...it worked okay. I'm sure 3F will burn a bit cleaner in it though. I was using 20 grains of powder. The first shot hit the 10 ring! After that it was all downhill....but that was me, not the rifle. I have not shot a percussion gun in 25+ years. Not sure I like Remington #11 caps any better now than I did in the '70's. I noticed several weak ones (not due to any lock malfunctions). Gonna get some CCI caps this week.
I decided to not swab between shots....just to see how many shots I could get before (A) it got hard to load and/or (B) it started misfiring. (A) Well, I was using a 5/16" steel rod to load with, .350 cast balls and .015 ox-yoke treated patches. It never got the least bit hard to load. Each ball seated as easily as the one before it. Cool. (B) After about 25 shots, it began to misfire. The patent breech started to clog. I was amazed that it took so long to gum up.
NOTE: I wasn't much concerned this time out with hitting anything. I wanted to make sure the gun still functioned properly and determine what I could and could not do with it. I'll get some 3F this week and then spend some time with it to get some groupings. Although the sights still seemed to be fairly well on, so it should not be a chore to get it hitting on-target.
Lessons learned: Swab to keep junk from building up in the breech. Use 3F powder. Try other caps besides Remington. Although in all fairness, it was extremely humid...one cap just mushed itself into the nipple like paste.
The good news: this thing is sweet to shoot. It's light, handy, holds nicely, still gives a satisfying report and good BP smoke cloud, doesn't smack my shoulder, loads easily and is inexpensive to shoot. At 20 grains per shot, powder cost is minimal and I can get a hundred .350 balls from a pound of lead. Caps are the most expensive part of it!
I'll shoot this for awhile. If I continue to enjoy .36 caliber, I will probably buy a Blue Ridge rifles in .36 flintlock. I did miss the pan charge going off when shooting the Mowrey.....I still prefer flintlocks over caplocks.
Jack

The first smokepole I shot was a .38, and after firing several larger calibers, I really noticed there was somthing special with those small-bore "squirrelguns".

They shoot pretty darn fast, almost as fast or faster than a .22LR, and throw a lot more lead. They have no recoil, are light, easy to handle and shoot pretty darn flat.
I already have an idea for my next gun, and its a flinter squirrelgun. I still haven't decided what make yet, but I would love to try out a flintlock of my own.

Do you have any links for those blueridege rifles? Sorry if its a dumb question :eek: but I'm just getting into bp.
Thanks in advance :hatsoff:

Hi,be glad it isnt one of the new ones made by deer creek.I like the squirrel models also but a guy here in the club has a new one that like all deer creek guns he has all kinds of trouble with his in both acuracy and function.You might not want to sell yours.

You might not want to sell yours.
I don't think there is enough money to buy mine. It was a gun I had built for my mother decades ago. My stepdad just gave it to me recently as a memento of her. Not for sale. ::
Jack

Back