• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

32 cal kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds good I was going to shoot balls some before I messed with anything else ive not used one but I know a 22 mag is more than enough for a coyote with good shots so no worries there

I don't know what twist the Crocket rifle has but it may or may not shoot a conical bullet very accurately. Others who own them may chime in.

The 32 round ball has plenty of "whompability" for yotes! Shot placement is key.

My point with all the numbers was you won't find a cartridge gun, even reloading, that you can shoot for cheaper. Not to mention will be as fun! :v

Good luck!!

I think it 1:48 but smaller diameters need faster twists usually so idk about conicals but I thought I might try anyway in which case ill let you know lol but I figured id carry a 32 more than a 50 for more game than a 50 and be able to afford to shoot it a whole lot sounds like the perfect gun to me

You may be able to stretch your budget by finding a nicer quality used rifle for the same money as a lesser new gun. I always keep my eyes open for good used guns and have found some real nice deals over the years. Never give up hope on your wife shooting or spending time in the woods with ya. My wife of 20 years never wanted to go hunting with me early on but now hunts ( when the weather is nice) and has taken two deer with a .45 cal TC and two with a bow! The last buck she shot with a TC Seneca was better than anything I have taken with a muzzleloader ! Good luck with your search! Greg :)

Have a Traditions Deerhunter in 32. For the price, finish, fit and function are great. Back when I could see that well it would print 1 inch groups at 50 yards. With 25 grains of 3f that little pill is really smoking. Hit a squirrel at 30 yards in the chest and he is already field dressed.

Well that would be cool other than the stock im not a fan of plastic even on modern guns... I might just consider making a 32 barrel for the gun I have but id like something that looks a little more authentic... Mines steel and wood but its plastic butt plate all blued steel and super plain... So I do want something that looks the part... Maybe ill do a 54 or 58 barrel down the road for it as a no frills hunting rifle.. I mean heck it has a front sling stud that screws into a detailed piece on the barrel instead of wedge pins lol

This thing is certainly not HC or PC, but it is lots of fun. Does have a rubber butt pad, really helps with the tremendous recoil of the 32. :grin:

Spikebuck said:
You didn't specify what kind of budget you might have for this, but if I were to pick a .32 caliber kit, it would be Jim Kibler's...hands down. A little more costly at $995, but these are QUALITY parts and American made. :thumbsup: I know you're looking for percussion, but I thought maybe you could be swayed to the DARK side! :wink: :grin:
https://kiblerslongrifles.com/coll...outhern-mountain-rifle-kit-gun-base-price-950

This kit comes in other calibers as well.

It there is any way to pull it off, get the Kibler. The others mentioned are mass marketed price point guns. They are not a high quality gun. The rifle you make will never resale at a price near what you paid for it.

The Kibler is a whole different thing. They are a Slam-Dunk to finish. The rifle you make is top notch. IF you do your part it will sell for more than you spent on it. My last one sold for 2X the price of the kit, in hind site, I settled for too little. I really did not have any intentions of selling it but, money talks. You will be proud of your Kibler for the rest of your life.

There is a Kibler kit rifle on The Track site right now for $2569. The lock is converted to percussion. The finish is only so-so. Mine was much nicer.

: )

Last edited by a moderator:
Might try it in the future... 1000 dollars is Definetly out of my price range... I'd love to though.... Once upon a time I was single with no kids and would've done it in a second

Don't forget there are other costs associated with a build other than the cost of the kit or parts. Some tools you can make (like gouges and scrapers if you are so inclined), but others you can't.

For starters you will need a way to hold your piece while working on it. Most people elect to go with a 2-vice system for full stock LR's because the fore ends are so long. If you are building a half stock then more than likely you can get away with a single vice. Holding small steel or metal parts is different than holding wood, so you'll need a way to deal with that too. Some folks opt for "soft jaws" for their machinists vice(s) to let them handle both wood and metal, and others may use 3 or even 4 vices. It all depends on you.

The other basic thing you'll need is good light and climate control. You can't work very effectively on things you can't see or are too hot or cold to be comfortable. Add in to that mix a place where shavings and filings can fall on the floor and not ruin the place where it's all going on. Some people put all their toys and tools away at the end of each session, but many do not, and leave their tools out till the next session. If you can leave things a little bit messy that will help cut down some of the time on the front and back ends.

Then you can add in the tools and consumables; things like files, rasps, straight edges, knives, measuring devices, drills, bits, taps, pliers, hammers, punches, chisels, gouges, clamps, glue, heat sources, sharpening systems, screw drivers, steel wool, sand paper, finishes, and associated finishing materials. Chances are pretty good that you already have a bunch of this stuff, (screw drivers for instance), but a lot of it is pretty specialized to gun making, or other similar sorts of fine wood and metal work.

Reference materials like books and the internet are their own category, but they can really make things a LOT easier to build something that is historically plausible.

But by far the MOST important thing you need in order to build a gun is the time, and desire to do so. Like most things, you can take this to just about any level you wish. You can spend many thousands on the tools, or get by with just a couple hundred bucks worth.

I have all the tools and considerable experience at one point in my life the majority of my income was derived from gunsmithing plus I'm a certified machinist and my dad has his own shop with a mill a lathe and everything one rifle I built I spent 3 weeks on the stock it was a walnut block when I started with it now is a linseed oiled beauty the thing is I've never done any of this with a muzzleloader.... Really I could buy a barrel blank and a lock and build one from there but it costs about as much and takes a few weeks and I don't have that time anymore....I've been telling myself for3 years im going to rebarrel my last rifle for a wildcat cartridge ohh my own design but no time lol if there was the market I'd quit my job amd be a full time smith like I wanted to but it just doesn't pay for itself and the bills long enough to really get established... :(

You're well on your way then. I didn't know your background. A lot of people come to this forum with a tool kit previously consisted of a telephone and a credit card, and really ARE starting at square 1. But they have the most important element; they WANT to make one. That overcomes a LOT if they're willing to do what it takes to do it.

Its not rocket science but it does take plenty of patience and some job specific tools

Latest posts

Back