• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

32 cal kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dixie has several Pedersoli kit .32 guns. The Cub and the kentucky are good kit guns. It depends on if you want a long rifle or a shorter rifle.

You didn't specify what kind of budget you might have for this, but if I were to pick a .32 caliber kit, it would be Jim Kibler's...hands down. A little more costly at $995, but these are QUALITY parts and American made. :thumbsup: I know you're looking for percussion, but I thought maybe you could be swayed to the DARK side! :wink: :grin:
https://kiblerslongrifles.com/coll...outhern-mountain-rifle-kit-gun-base-price-950

This kit comes in other calibers as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldnt mind a flintlock I just have no experience with them and they usually cost a little more... I looked on the DGW site and the pedresoli kits there were right at the very edge of what I could begin to consider spending... Also I know better than to buy a cheap flintlock and not expect issues so mainly percussion because its easier to get a good one cheap. If I had the money id have no problem spending all the money I needed to get the best quality whatever I want.... But alas bills and family come first... Is the crocket a decent choice? I haven't built and ML kits but as a machinist by trade and hobby gunsmith I have built 30 or more rifles on mauser actions and assorted other projects... So fitting and machine work wouldn't be a big deal and wouldnt cost me anything other than time which I don't mind cause I like doing it.

Kits a good way to go. Crockett a decent rifle I have one). I'd go Dixie cub if I could afford it The flinter in this model should preform fine). Per your qualifications either will be an easy build! Good luck!

If I go with the Dixie ill probably get a flintlock... Ive heard bad things about the traditions frizzens and other stuff.... However if changing or modifying the frozen is less work than rebarreling chambering and contouring a barrel for a centerfire I might go with the crocket anyways since I value working on my personal guns at 0 dollars an hour I don't mind the work

My only issue is real black is hard to find around here and I can't afford enough powder at once to justify the haz mat fee

CapPopper said:
I wouldnt mind a flintlock I just have no experience with them and they usually cost a little more...

Is the crocket a decent choice?

I assume you're getting a .32 for small game? If so, it's a great way to experiment and build confidence with a flinter before moving on to big game where you have "more at stake." I started in flinters with a 20 ga fowling piece, which could take big game, but I focused on small game my first year learning the in's and out's of a flinter while still using my cappers for deer.

I had a Crocket in .32. It was a good little gun, but it never really fit me too well, so I sold it. Like others here have reported on load discussions from time to time, mine liked a very, very light load of 15 gr of 3F with a tightly patched ball.

Mike

IMHO, you generally get what you pay for. You want quality, you'll have to pay for it.

As for flintlocks, they ain't rocket science. It's 1700s technology, not real hard and nothing to be wary of. Instead of a percussion cap on a nipple, it's a flint in the cock and powder in the pan. I think 9 times out of 10 if someone has a problem with a flintlock it's usually headspace and timing on the operators part or a lesser quality lock or both.

Back in the late 70s when I got my first rifle, a custom Hawken I had just got out of the Army, was making $3.85 an hour and it took me about a year to save up for the rifle. It has Ron Long Lock and triggers, P++ wood and a Douglas XX barrel made by a guy from Round Rock Texas named Davey Boultinghouse. It was well worth the wait and luckily a loving and understanding wife. I guess the point I'm trying to make is get the best you can. I now have two flintlocks, a S. Mtn Rifle made by Jim Parker and a TVM Late Lancaster. The Parker rifle has a L&R Lock and the TMV has a Chambers, both good quality locks. There was no appreciable "learning" curve or secret to shoot these guns. Anyway, just my point of view. I don't think you could go wrong with a TVM or Tip Curtis kit, in the white or completed .36 cal rifle. I've never seen or handled one, but the Jim Kibler kit looks pretty awesome. Just don't cut yourself short. My opinion, for what's it's worth.

Snakebite

Chillicothe

I wasnt planning on a cheap flintlock that's another reason I was figuring on a caplock even though im sure I could make a frizzen if need be I don't have an overly understanding wife and while she doesnt mind me buying ammo and powder and all that its hard for me to manage more than 50 or 60 dollars at a time

Not right off that I can recall... I never asked at dicks I reckon they may have it. Though I wouldn't mind shooting with someone who knows more than me sometime

I don't have an overly understanding wife and while she doesnt mind me buying ammo and powder and all that its hard for me to manage more than 50 or 60 dollars at a time :shocked2:

Sounds like she needs to get a second job! :blah: :slap:

I am presently the only one working since my son is still too small for school she is hoping to get a part time job at the school in the cafeteria until he is old enough for school but yeah it gets on my nerves sometimes cause we spend money on stuff I think is stupid all the time... Alas happy wife happy life... Mostly lol

I was JK! My wife was a stay at home mom since our first was born. Just married off the youngest in December. She appears to have no thoughts towards rebuilding my "mad-gun" fund :hmm:

Keep her home with them kids as long as ya can! :hatsoff:

I could care less if she ever works she is the one that wants too... She just doesn't see the point since I already have like 20 firearms plus she also won't hardly spend 300 dollars on anything but the kids... And on 14.00an hour a family of four is stretching it... I was just going to buy the kit out of our rather sizeable income tax return and figure she won't notice or ill tell her I got it stupid cheap which is why cheaper is better.... Its not like we are gonna do without its just unfortunately easier to go that route than try to justify buying it or fighting with her about it... She can be touchy... I mean im going to buy her a new computer last year she got a car and we are also doing a new washer and dryer this year I th I k im entitled to something fun for me lol

HEY.....make it her birthday present! :thumbsup:

Ya we all been there. It gets better. Kits the way to go, crockett mentioned above likely the most economical!

You obviously haven't learned the difference between "Her Stuff" and "your manure".

The car, washer, dryer and computer will be "Her Stuff".

The guns are "your manure".

:rotf:

Back