• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2f vs 3f in .50 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Planning a range trip Friday to see how a .495 Hornady ball goes with a .015 lubed patch. Might be a real tight fit. If too tight I will order a bunch of .010 patches.

Hmmm?...Why not try .490 balls if too tight? Its my bet MANY more shooters are loading .490. I have tried .495 and thin patches and get burnt patches and poor accuracy myself. maybe in a psitol. ALL my .50 calibers like .490

I am target shooting 55 gn of 2F. Probably same with 3F then?
No, 55 grains of 2F Triple 7 will not give the same results as a 55 grain charge of 3F. Strictly speaking, T-7 burns much hotter than traditional black powder or other BP substitutes. It is more energetic than traditional BP and this increases when comparing 2F to 3F. To find the rough equivalent of a charge of traditional, reduce the load by 10% with 2F and 15% with 3F. It is always best to work up an accurate load combination in each particular rifle as what works in one may not work or give the best accuracy in another even if it's the same caliber, length of barrel and brand. 3f T-7 should never be used in cartridge firearms as a substitute for black powder as the higher burn temperature and pressure spike (compared to 3f Triple 7) quickly work harden the brass and they start to split after just a few reloadings. It would be my advice to use only 2f Triple 7 in your muzzleloader, caplock only.

Back