• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll do my best. It will be hot ,humid, skeeters, and ticks...
I'll go a few times and see how bad it is.
Get ya a head net, and duct tape your pant cuffs Fred. Be just like when we were kids hunting them river bottoms in Illinois in August before we had to go back to school. Air so humid you could see it.

Although I like to get one deer per year, I get more enjoyment from hunting squirrels. More action and way less trouble. I'd like to have the 32 Crockett rifle instead of downloading deer calibers.
Mike, I think you would most likely enjoy it. Much more challenging but the rewards are sweeter.

In my young mind then, it was the equivalent to laying in pelts because I didn't have any steel traps yet, or know how to use them. And who doesn't like free fishing lures?!
If you are a fly fisherman, you could use the hair, in different amounts for fatter or skinnier flys. Just get a hook of the appropriate length and tie the hairs in with red thread at the point nearest the eyelet.

If you are a fly fisherman, you could use the hair, in different amounts for fatter or skinnier flys. Just get a hook of the appropriate length and tie the hairs in with red thread at the point nearest the eyelet.
Thank you. I use to fly fish when I lived out west. Haven’t done any since moving east of the big muddy river.

Thank you. I use to fly fish when I lived out west. Haven’t done any since moving east of the big muddy river.
I’m not sure about Kentucky, but I live (well did and we’re moving back this summer) in the upstate of SC. There is great trout fishing north of me, as well as Western NC, N Ga. And Eastern Tenn. And fly fishing, at least to me, is like Ruffed Grouse hunting. It’s not about numbers, it’s about being outside in style😉

I have enjoyed reading this thread! I was a squirrel hunting nut in my youth. It was a great way to learn patience, stealth and accuracy for a boy. I would have never been able to sit still for hours hunting big game, had I not gotten the rewards of sitting for 5-10 minutes waiting out the squirrels.
I even tried bow hunting at one point. But I realized that was exceeding my abilities a bit.
I had an old hammer single shot in .410 that was my squirrel gun and it was big medicine against them. To this day, I think hardwood squirrel is the best meat there is. Of course, memory can cloud one’s judgement on the flavor.

and all over the dash board of my truck
?????? That crazy inexplicable statement requires explanation. 😳 is it to keep the wife out of your truck? It would sure work on my wife. 🤣

On another note, do any of you Southern boys use the permerthrin (sp) to ward off the ticks? Ticks give me the creeps and I avoid their environs as much as possible.

I fly fish a little. Mostly I catch low hanging branches.🤣 But I land one every now and then. I wish my eyesight and fingers would allow me to tie flies, I always found it interesting and being super involved. I did have a teacher in highschool ask me about hides once, he said he used them to make paint brushes. He gave me the creeps so I avoided him🤣

?????? That crazy inexplicable statement requires explanation. 😳 is it to keep the wife out of your truck? It would sure work on my wife. 🤣

On another note, do any of you Southern boys use the permerthrin (sp) to ward off the ticks? Ticks give me the creeps and I avoid their environs as much as possible.
I use the water based stuff from tractor supply used for horses. I cut it 50/50 with distilled water. Works better than the Sawyers in my opinion.

I have enjoyed reading this thread! I was a squirrel hunting nut in my youth. It was a great way to learn patience, stealth and accuracy for a boy. I would have never been able to sit still for hours hunting big game, had I not gotten the rewards of sitting for 5-10 minutes waiting out the squirrels.
I even tried bow hunting at one point. But I realized that was exceeding my abilities a bit.
I had an old hammer single shot in .410 that was my squirrel gun and it was big medicine against them. To this day, I think hardwood squirrel is the best meat there is. Of course, memory can cloud one’s judgement on the flavor.
I think squirrel is delicious. Cooked right, makes a fine meal. I've gotten to where I use grape seed oil to fry mine. Doesn't soak in as bad. Now you're making me hungry!

No, but if I wanted to keep her out of my truck all I have to do is put a fake mouse in there. Never seen anything like it. She sees a mouse and instantly…….the lights are on but ain’t no body home. I’m dead serious about that, too. Difficult to fathom a woman that would go up in the mountains by herself, kill mule deer, gut them, then pack them out on her own. But a dang mouse sends her into never-never land. I don’t get it?

I use Deet spray but I’m considering permethrin.

Last edited:
I much prefer to marinate squirrels over night in the fridge then put them into my smoker. I do a bunch at one time.

No, but if I wanted to keep her out of my truck all I have to do is put a fake mouse in there. Never seen anything like it. She sees a mouse and instantly…….the lights are on but ain’t no body home.

I use Deet spray but I’m considering permethrin.
It works pretty good Ed. I just hang my clothes up outside and spray them down and let them air dry. I blouse my pants and keep my cuffs tight.

My mom would parboil in a pressure cooker to tenderize then bread and fry. Not a ton of meat but so good! You need a limit to make a meal. Side note, I lived with a Minnesota girl in college and brought some home for dinner. We didn’t get married for some reason, I can’t remember why.
I much prefer to marinate squirrels over night in the fridge then put them into my smoker. I do a bunch at one time.

My mom would parboil in a pressure cooker to tenderize then bread and fry. Not a ton of meat but so good! You need a limit to make a meal. Side note, I lived with a Minnesota girl in college and brought some home for dinner. We didn’t get married for some reason, I can’t remember why.
My wife won't eat them. When my kids were little, they would eat them as fast as I could cook them. As my daughter got older she said she didn't like them, I think because mamma don't. So I can shoot one or two for myself and chow down. I use a pressure cooker on the old tough ones. Makes a world of difference.

Back