• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ed, Cool book; very enjoyable. RE> seeing squirrels at night, we used to run dogs at night after coon and possums, and see them often, especially on full moons, doing normal squirrel activities like it was daylight.
Thank you.

I’m glad you commented on your experience with squirrels coming out at night. It helps substantiate my findings as well as what the TWRA stated on their web site.

20240414_112900_copy_372x279.jpg

So, this morning I went back to the thicket from hell. Opened up a couple other paths with my chainsaw. Found a few more somewhat taller tress that has drays up in them, as well as a couple den trees. The good news is I found another grown up log road I had no idea was in there. Part of it opens up fairly nice.

As I have previously said, it is very rough working in there but I’m getting it opened up to where I just might have a few good hunts in there this year. Spring season here opens in lass than a month.

One thing is for sure, this ole boy is out of shape big time. My gosh, running a chainsaw over my head and/or straight out in front of me is hard on the body.

Hello to all In and out if this Thread.

Let's take a look.

Different Squirrel Hunting Techniques.
Subspecies of Squirrels.
Different Calibers and Gauges of guns.
Different Terrains. Flat, Hills, and Mountains.

Cat Squirrels? What?! I do understand that now. Red, Black, White, and Gray,,, Squirrels with tuffs at the end of their of their ears...Demon Squirrels from Hell, it doesn't matter we want to Shoot all of them With Muzzloading Guns....

If we don't shot them we'll trP them or send them on on ride of their lives with some Merry Go Round Feeder!

Ya gotta love and appreciate it..

May we all live a good healthy happy life AND HUNT SQUIRRELS WITH A Muzzleloader!!!!!

Let enjoy ETipp's Book....

Again Thanks to all in the Thread....

PS the memories!!!!

True Stoies

Think about it. It's great.

The Memories.

Take Care Stay Safe.....

I merely took him to "the Colony" and released to his comrades waiting to welcome him to his new world. Then they all bowed down to me in thanks and scurried happily away.
I hope you are dropping them off at different locals Cruiser. They might be waiting for you on one of your drop-off spots. And with that many PO'd at ya, you might need something belt fed for personal protection.😉

So, this morning I went back to the thicket from hell. Opened up a couple other paths with my chainsaw. Found a few more somewhat taller tress that has drays up in them, as well as a couple den trees. The good news is I found another grown up log road I had no idea was in there. Part of it opens up fairly nice.

As I have previously said, it is very rough working in there but I’m getting it opened up to where I just might have a few good hunts in there this year. Spring season here opens in lass than a month.

One thing is for sure, this ole boy is out of shape big time. My gosh, running a chainsaw over my head and/or straight out in front of me is hard on the body.
I agree with that big time Ed. Here's proof 🤣

Attachments

• IMG_20240414_143650840.jpg
    IMG_20240414_143650840.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
I agree with that big time Ed. Here's proof 🤣
Ah, the briar battle wounds. I recognize them. Last week when I came home and walked through the door, my wife looked at my and said “what happened to you”?

My hands, face, forehead and even from inside my nostrils had been bleeding. Not to mention a few broken off briars in the top of my head that had to be plucked out.

Yesterday wasn’t quite as bad but I did pull a dug in tick off my leg last night.

The price some of us pay just to squirrel hunt. 😁

Hello to all In and out if this Thread.

Let's take a look.

Different Squirrel Hunting Techniques.
Subspecies of Squirrels.
Different Calibers and Gauges of guns.
Different Terrains. Flat, Hills, and Mountains.

Cat Squirrels? What?! I do understand that now. Red, Black, White, and Gray,,, Squirrels with tuffs at the end of their of their ears...Demon Squirrels from Hell, it doesn't matter we want to Shoot all of them With Muzzloading Guns....

If we don't shot them we'll trP them or send them on on ride of their lives with some Merry Go Round Feeder!

Ya gotta love and appreciate it..

May we all live a good healthy happy life AND HUNT SQUIRRELS WITH A Muzzleloader!!!!!

Let enjoy ETipp's Book....

Again Thanks to all in the Thread....

PS the memories!!!!

True Stoies

Think about it. It's great.

The Memories.

Take Care Stay Safe.....
Indeed. Gotta love our little furry friends with bushy tails.

Would that special colony be next to someones house that you hate?😁

No, it's actually only close to one house and I'm not even sure anyone lives in it. I wouldn't want to! 🤣
Ah, the briar battle wounds. I recognize them. Last week when I came home and walked through the door, my wife looked at my and said “what happened to you”?

My hands, face, forehead and even from inside my nostrils had been bleeding. Not to mention a few broken off briars in the top of my head that had to be plucked out.

Yesterday wasn’t quite as bad but I did pull a dug in tick off my leg last night.

You guys are pikers. I do more damage than that in my "shop". :p

Now an interesting observation on my backyard fox squirrels (I've been reading Ed's book and I'm becoming highly technical in my terminology). There is one in my trap at this moment. Usual behavior for a trapped fox squirrel is a constant battle against the trap. However this one is very pragmatic. Squirrels have been in the trap sometimes for several hours and they never touch the bait. But this one is calmly munching on the same piece of bagel that two previous Squirrels have left untouched once trapped.

Now, let's revisit eggs. I have found several several Easter eggs left behind by the egg hunters. One I used as bait and the squirrels found it very tasty and proceeded as though they welcomed their entrapment. So I've no doubt they will raid bird nests.

Yep. I chalk some of it up to getting old, and stubbornness. Seems I can't to much of anything these days without leaking. 🤣

🤣

Last year I had both of my thumbnails coming off at the same time. They were ugly.

Sometimes I’m about as graceful as an intoxicated draft horse.
I here ya there brother. I'm always extra careful when using power tools. I don't think a shop towel and electrical tape I usually deploy would help with a lopped off finger. 🤣

I here ya there brother. I'm always extra careful when using power tools. I don't think a shop towel and electrical tape I usually deploy would help with a lopped off finger. 🤣
Understood.

I have to be extra careful whenever using my chainsaw in that thicket. It would be real easy to make a bad mistake that would do a lot of tissue damage, and in a hurry, too. Swinging that thing around in the air, side to side, and often over my head.

Out of over 45 years running chainsaws I’ve only cut myself once. And that was due to cutting in knee deep snow. On that day I got to see what knee cartilage looks like. 😁

But I am making progress in that thicket. Perhaps 5-6 more times in there and I’ll have enough trails opened up for squirrel hunting when things are still greened out.

Back