• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all, since we are right now at a new year, this is a new thread to replace, or to be a continuation of, the 2023 Fall Squirrel Hunting Thread. I would think the 2023 Fall Squirrel Hunting Thread should still remain open and/or be there to fall back on for information if one so desires.

In the next post is a pic of one of our wonderful furry little friends to kick this one off.

Last edited:
IMG_1864.jpeg

Id like to collect some data on this game.

For the traditional ML squirrel hunters out there, what is your preferred method of hunting.

Spot and stalk?

Sit and hunt?

Still hunt?

Hunt with squirrel dogs?

Just walk through the woods?

Also, what is your preferred type of traditional ML for squirrel hunting?

Last edited:
I normally hunt areas that I know are producing a food source.
But honestly, there are so many squirrels here it isn't even a chore to get your limit any time you wish. People don't hunt them as much as they did at one time.
Sorry method .32 flinter.
Andy, where are you located?

I like to move through the woods and listen for them barking as well as watching for them, then stalk but i also stop and wait in known productive areas so it's a mixture...I use my .40 Bob Watts rifle, loaded with 30grs Goex FFF...
Sounds a lot like how I prefer to hunt.

I walk some, sit on my homemade tree seat some. I try to find hickories or good oak patch. Mostly use my 32's, Crockett rifle, or my CVA Varminter. But when the leaf cover is heavy, I'll use my New Englander 12 gauge with 6 shot and the Skychief load. I live in central PA.

I’m a sitter predominantly. I scout areas before season looking for bearing hickories. I mark their locations on Onx. When the season comes in, I go hunt the hickories.
weapon of choice is .36 flintlock.
Im in south east Pennsylvania.

Good idea on this Ed. Very interesting!
Good hunting plan.

I had to look up Onx.

I would think that a .36 flintlock would be provide some excellent adventures.

I walk some, sit on my homemade tree seat some. I try to find hickories or good oak patch. Mostly use my 32's, Crockett rifle, or my CVA Varminter. But when the leaf cover is heavy, I'll use my New Englander 12 gauge with 6 shot and the Skychief load. I live in central PA.
That's a good plan on a tree seat. Although I rarely sit, every now and then when the ground is wet I wished I had something to sit or kneel on.

How much powder and what type do you use in your New Englander 12 gauge barrel?

Guess I should list my preferred method of squirrel hunting.

I'm darn near 100% still hunter to the core. Seldom do I sit. I cover lots of ground and it takes a long time doing so. I move at a snails pace and on average I stand still next to larger trees (if available) for ~ 65% to 70% of the hunt. Executing the perfect sneak is the name of the game. Often I go to great lengths to see this materialize. One hour, or close to it, is not uncommon for one single squirrel or sneak. But alas, like the old saying goes "sometimes you're the bug, sometimes you're the windshield". I don't always win.

The squirrel tool used at this time is my .32 Crockett Squirrel Rifle.

Last edited:
Good day, to all Muzzleloading Squirrel Hunters out there.
I like to walk slow look and listen.
I'll lean, squat or sit if I see cuttings, and squirrel digs in the ground. Sometimes Ole Henry will tree them up. I'm not saying that I'm a squirrel dog hunter, it new to me. He just did it on his own and I enjoy being with the little fella.
I for past few years I used a 12ga percussion double barrel.
I bought a .32 Crockett Rifle this year.
Although I haven't had much time to hunt, I've been focusing on PRB. I like the challenge of single ball.
Ed, thanks for starting this thread.
Thanks to all for your stories and methods.
Happy New Year.

Latest posts

Back