• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like I said before, I’m in Missouri turkey hunting. Never hunted this state before. Last evening I was easing through some woods and there are hickory trees everywhere. Shag bark and mockernut hickory’s. Oaks too. I would love to squirrel hunt here. Fox and grays. Really nice country about ten miles from Iowa. Lots of deer too. My buddy shot a real good gobbler last evening but I’ve had no action today other than finishing Ed’s book. Lol

Me thinks you should write a chapter on squirrel trapping Cruiser😉
Don't know if Ed would want any of my scratchings in such a fine book. Be nice if he added a chapter on Pine squirrels. I know he doesn't hunt them where he's at but would bet a shot against a beer that he knows all he needs to know! 😅

I haven't seen a squirrel since #10. They will be filling in though. Strategy is to continue removal until my pears and apples are harvested. They'll get a few but won't have time to do much damage. Now is critical because they love to eat the buds before they blossom and then they will start in eating the blossoms.

eight inches of snow out there this morning and cold all day.

We're gonna have to do that some day Ed. Drag Fred and Jim along.
I haven’t forgotten about it. In fact, I was thinking about it again last night. A few days squirrel hunt somewhere certainly located (for most of us). It’s in the works. Going somewhere tomorrow to scope it out.

Two days ago I got a call from a friend. She asked me if I would help her get rid of a bunch of squirrels. They are in her attic, chewing holes in facia boards, in between the ceiling and roof on her front porch, and all over her yard. Went over and checked things out. Yup, she has a squirrel problem sure enough. Being the modest fella I am, I said to her “today is your lucky day. I just happen to be the right man for the job”.

She also gave me permission to squirrel hunt her woods that just happens to join my thicket from hell.

Oh I’m gonna like this job.😁

Attachments

• IMG_2095.jpeg
    IMG_2095.jpeg
    754.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Two days ago I got a call from a friend. She asked me if I would help her get rid of a bunch of squirrels. They are in her attic, chewing holes in facia boards, in between the ceiling and roof on her front porch, and all over her yard. Went over and checked things out. Yup, she has a squirrel problem for sue and being the modest fella I am, I said to her “today is your lucky day. I just happen to be the right man for the job”.

She also gave me permission to squirrel hunt her woods that just happens to join the thicket from hell.

Oh I’m gonna like this job.😁
Wow, that’s some hole they chewed!!

I and my trap stand ready to be drafted. 😀
Traps aren’t doing the trick here. I have 4 of them out. They walk up to it, or very close to it, then keep moving along. There’s so many buds and other things for them to eat for being so early in the year. The squirrels are still digging in the ground and finding old nuts from last year as well. Even oak trees are leaved out already and the woods are getting thick.

So yeah, traps are not effective at this time but I know what is very effective. 😁

Last edited:
We're gonna have to do that some day Ed. Drag Fred and Jim along.
Guys I've thought (actually dreamed) about the same thing for awhile. My hunting buddy's are far and few .

If you guys can make it work go for it.
With my work the way it is, it's going pretty much consume my time for the next couple months, til this hospital is complete. Then in June or July I'll be starting another very large hospital. 2 year plus project. If it starts off right and the contractor and architect have ducks in a row it might be possible to take some time off, I usually get screwed during hunting season.

If the 3 of ya can make it happen do it.
Ya can send pictures and fill me in...

Take Care Stay Safe

Fred

Found this out in the woods this morning while scouting for another place to squirrel hunt. Anyone know what this fanged critter might have been.

Some serious choppers.

Badger?

Saber tooth Groundhog?

No water in a the area for miles so it can’t be a beaver.

Attachments

• IMG_2097.jpeg
    IMG_2097.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2098.jpeg
    IMG_2098.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2099.jpeg
    IMG_2099.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back