• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here’s one I mounted couple years ago trapped maybe 10-12 miles from my place. Cool animal but I wish they weren’t here.View attachment 281393
Jim, I had forgotten all about those things. We had those where I lived out West up in the mountains in ID. One day I was quartering up an elk I just shot and I looked over and one of those things walked up to within a very few feet of me, stopped, and just looked at me. I wasn't sure what to do because I had never seen one before. He was going sort of back and forth, side to side in the snow. I tossed some scraps towards him and he grabbed some and then kind of slowly headed out. I couldn’t believe it was so brave. Haven't seen one since.

Last edited:
Happy New Year to all.
Although I haven't hunted as much as I would like, the squirrel population seems good here in West Central Florida.
Plenty of them out back and at the Public Hunting Lands.
Noticed alot of road kill also.
The Oaks in my area did not have a high yield this year, it makes me wonder if it will effect next years population.

. Take Care Stay Safe

Anyone ever tried using a call on squirrels?
Good evening, Longcruise.
I haven't used it in a good while.
Not that I could just go out, sit and start calling in squirrels. When they were on the opposite side of the tree for a fee minutes, I'd give it a good swift pinch or a bump and it draw them out to either bark or squeak back, courius little fellas.
Also when they were on the ground amongst Saw Palmettos, it get them to jump up on the sides of a tree, offer a good shot.
Take Care Stay Safe.

Attachments

• 20240101_191931.jpg
    20240101_191931.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Here in CT, it seems that the squirrel population is very low in some areas (SE CT in particular) and good in some of the northern parts of the state. Now that the leaves are gone, and deer season is over, I have been using my .36 flint lock by Kevin Blivens. I like to slow stalk the woods if I see a squirrel, otherwise, I will take a stand for 30 minutes at a time to see what is moving. I also combine my squirrel hunts with predator calling. Lately, I have had more luck on coyotes than squirrels.
My son lives in Avon CT, he called me a couple of weeks ago while watching a Bobcat in his parking lot (he lives in an apartment complex). Said he figured out where all the cats went. I'm sure if the Bobcats are thick, squirrels are on the menu too.

Good evening, Longcruise.
I haven't used it in a good while.
Not that I could just go out, sit and start calling in squirrels. When they were on the opposite side of the tree for a fee minutes, I'd give it a good swift pinch or a bump and it draw them out to either bark or squeak back, courius little fellas.
Also when they were on the ground amongst Saw Palmettos, it get them to jump up on the sides of a tree, offer a good shot.
Take Care Stay Safe.
I have one similar to that one you have there. Sometimes I use 2 quarters to make a cutting sound. Cant say it works, but the squeaker does.

Where I hunt in North Central Missouri, the greys are the dominant species. There are fox squirrels, too but not as many. In the northern Ozarks, almost all fox squirrels. We have tons of greys here in the burbs. Can't hunt those.
A fox squirrel is something that I rarely see in the wooded hills of KY. For the most part, they like to hang around in lower terrain in more of a field like environment, especially a corn field.

I have seen a few in the last couple of years down along the fields and road while driving into my happy hunting grounds. Interesting enough, I'm darn near positive I saw one that was crossed between a gray squirrel. He had the distinct trait of how fox squirrel carries their tail, was larger than most any gray squirrel I’ve ever seen and it was a mixed color of the two. I got a good look at him from just a few feet away as he hung on the side of a smaller tree on the edge of the very narrow road.

Also, a couple months ago I shot a squirrel that appeared to be a mix between the two. Not quite as predominant as the aforementioned, however. It was big for a gray squirrel and had a lot of red color on it, even the underside. Due to it being up in the top of a tree when I shot it, I was not able to see how it carried its tail, which is a direct indicator.

That was only about 400 to 500 yards from where I saw the other one that appeared to be a cross between a fox squirrel and a gray squirrel.

Last edited:
A squirrel call is something I have never used. Not even sure if I've seen one. I have heard about rubbing two 25 cent pieces together, and tried it, but I couldn't get the proper sound. For all I know I was probably sending out a warning signal saying "Run Forrest, Run".
I sometimes use a 5/16" bolt and a washer to call squirrels, especially when they are cutting hickory nuts. Just rub the washer against the threads of the bolt to make the cutting sound. Other times I use a squeaker to call out a squirrel that has holed up in a tree. I go to the opposite side of the tree from the hole, wait about 10 min, then give a few squeaks. Many times the squirrel will come out to investigate. I go to the opposite side of the tree, so that if the squirrel comes out and comes to my side he is fully exposed and can't duck back into the hole. Using the squeaker has also brought in a few coyotes over the years too!.

I live in northcentral Pennsylvania and the squirrel population seemed to be up this year from previous years. Oddly, lots of black squirrels as well. I used to see maybe 1 black squirrel in ten on my property and I think this year it was probably 1 out of 3 were black. Not sure why. Good hickory crop and I could have killed some squirrels this year had I wanted to, but I haven't killed one in 40 years (got tired of eating them as a teenager when I was constantly dragging them home).

I do feel like I should occasionally go after them though and learn to enjoy eating them because the numbers are good in PA and in my seasonal residence in South Carolina as well. I have a nice custom TN longrifle in .36, a Kibler SMR in .40 and I'll be building another .36 TN rifle, another .40 caliber longrifle and a .32 halfstock here one of these days as I've already assembled the parts (I'm waiting on two custom barrels from FCI and I admit that I've been waiting a LONG time for them).

I like to sit with my .32, 30 min. or sow, get up and easy around. I was a mnt. cur hunter, but after 4 back surgerys it hard to keep up with dogs. I worked so i could hunt, but retired now. i dont do much of anything now. i bought 20 ac. out in the country so i could be in woods. Just feed wildlife now. I killed the grand slam of turkeys twice, i am proud of that,would like to kill world slam,but to broke up.

I like to sit with my .32, 30 min. or sow, get up and easy around. I was a mnt. cur hunter, but after 4 back surgerys it hard to keep up with dogs. I worked so i could hunt, but retired now. i dont do much of anything now. i bought 20 ac. out in the country so i could be in woods. Just feed wildlife now. I killed the grand slam of turkeys twice, i am proud of that,would like to kill world slam,but to broke up.
Sorry to hear about you being so broken up. I hope you can keep trucking along.

I do know the feeling, Laney. I tell my friends that I have enough titanium in my body to build a space shuttle.

Congrats on the grand slams.

I live in northcentral Pennsylvania and the squirrel population seemed to be up this year from previous years. Oddly, lots of black squirrels as well. I used to see maybe 1 black squirrel in ten on my property and I think this year it was probably 1 out of 3 were black. Not sure why. Good hickory crop and I could have killed some squirrels this year had I wanted to, but I haven't killed one in 40 years (got tired of eating them as a teenager when I was constantly dragging them home).

I do feel like I should occasionally go after them though and learn to enjoy eating them because the numbers are good in PA and in my seasonal residence in South Carolina as well. I have a nice custom TN longrifle in .36, a Kibler SMR in .40 and I'll be building another .36 TN rifle, another .40 caliber longrifle and a .32 halfstock here one of these days as I've already assembled the parts (I'm waiting on two custom barrels from FCI and I admit that I've been waiting a LONG time for them)
I'm in Union County PA. We had a black one in the back yard we fed for a few years. I think a red tail got him, haven't seen him in a while. I know what you mean about getting tired of eating them, my home state the season opened on August 1st. Before school came back in and I shot boat loads. Kinda went through a big antler phase and didn't hunt them as much. Got my first 32 cal ML several years ago and feel in love with hunting them again. Sure wish I could make the gravy like my grandma did.

I usually sit for squirrels if I know the area but I will walk and stalk in areas I am not familar with. I use a 25 caliber flintlock that I built just for squirrel hunting. I use 20 grains of 3F, a .010 patch and a .250 round ball (number 3 buckshot).
Wowser, a .25 caliber. That's neat. Nice looking ML you have there, sir.

I'm in Union County PA. We had a black one in the back yard we fed for a few years. I think a red tail got him, haven't seen him in a while. I know what you mean about getting tired of eating them, my home state the season opened on August 1st. Before school came back in and I shot boat loads. Kinda went through a big antler phase and didn't hunt them as much. Got my first 32 cal ML several years ago and feel in love with hunting them again. Sure wish I could make the gravy like my grandma did.
Looks like I might need to look into different recipes for squirrels. The only way I have eaten them is fried and my favorite way, marinate them and put them in the smoker.

Beautiful afternoon here in PA. Wanted to hunt. Got a text that a customer wants to bring a deer head to me. Grrrrr
It’s cold enough, tell him to leave it on the porch and you’ll get to it when you’re done hunting. LOL

Looks like I might need to look into different recipes for squirrels. The only way I have eaten them is fried and my favorite way, marinate them and put them in the smoker.
When she was making squirrel gravy and word got out, there wouldn't be an empty spot at the table. I mostly fry mine. I pressure cook them for a few minutes then dredge them in Kentucky Kernel seasons flour and fry them like chicken. When the kids were little I'd trick them by de-boning them, saute and put in homemade egg rolls. They are good in the smoker too. I leave them whole then.

Latest posts

Back