• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome aboard, 2Moons.
This a good thread to share some squirrel hunting, and then some til squirrel season starts. I know some states have an early hunting season, other not til late summer or early fall.
Here in Florida it go to year round season starting July 1st. That's on private lands only. State land will vary on each management area, and. perspective of the type of hunt that is going on.
Sounds like ya gotta nice collection going on. Good Luck on your build.

Take Care Stay Safe.

Have spent the winter in Florida this year. Will be here until early June because of a broken leg. Working on my Kibler in between doctors appointments! Haha. Didn’t know you could hunt squirrels here in summer. Better have some ice with you if you’re gonna keep them!

Whatever it is I hope it’s strong. I forgot and left mine on full cock last night after cleaning. 🫣

bridle.jpg

Some Traditions locks come without this part. It adds support to the internals.

Last edited:
Wife took this pic out behind my house. He’s one of several of my squirrel meters. Best I can tell, I have 5 or 6 down there. I learn a lot from those little fellas, in terms of good or not so good hunting days. Thus, my squirrel meters. View attachment 304696
That's a good picture, "caught in the act"! LOL

My first squirrel muzzleloader was a T/C Cherokee.32. Hunted two years with it and had lots of fun with it. But I wanted a flintlock. So I got the kibler smr .36. Hunted my third year with that. Read so much on here about the Crockett I wanted one. I bought one from a member on here last winter. Shot it a lot with my kibler over the summer. I liked the Crockett better than the Cherokee even though the TC was a better quality rifle. Sold the Cherokee to a member on here a few months ago.

I’m building a flintlock now that should take over as my favorite rifle.

I don’t shoot the Crockett much anymore. I just like the flintlock better.

This has been my journey with squirrel hunting muzzleloaders. It’s been a lot of fun and I look forward to lots more time in the squirrel woods with my rifles.
Good evening, Jim.
You stated that your are building a flintlock. I'm curious, what make and caliber?

Take Care Stay Safe
Fred

Good evening, Jim.
You stated that your are building a flintlock. I'm curious, what make and caliber?

Take Care Stay Safe
Fred
It’s a .36 Fred. It’s an Isaac Haines style Flintlock. I bought all the parts. The barrel is 38” Rice swamped. I got the stock wood from Allen Martin and Mark Wedor pre shaped it and inlet the barrel and ram rod. It’s coming along slowly. I found out gun building isn’t my thing. Lol. But I’ll get it done. Jim

Sounds nice, Jim. After ya get her done you find that it is your thing, maybe. LOL.

I'm going to build one from scratch one day, I figure next year. I'm going to try a double barrel swivel breech. One barrel, would be .32 or .36 caliber rifled barrel, the other a .410 or .45 smooth bore.

Keep us post on the progress.

Take Care Stay Safe
Fred

Sounds nice, Jim. After ya get her done you find that it is your thing, maybe. LOL.

I'm going to build one from scratch one day, I figure next year. I'm going to try a double barrel swivel breech. One barrel, would be .32 or .36 caliber rifled barrel, the other a .410 or .45 smooth bore.

Keep us post on the progress.

Take Care Stay Safe
Fred
That’s pretty ambitious Fred. Great squirrel gun though! I’m pretty sure this is one and done for me though.

Back