• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2023 Fall Squirrel Season...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good Morning, ETipp.
I would really like to hunt them dark hardwoods of KY. Mountains, I sure it would be great time and adventure on my behalf.
Grew up hunting in West Central Illinois.
Reclaimed strip mines, open fields, and some nice hardwoods flat and hilly.
As far as Florida, it was different, but after 39 years I have a special feeling for it. The past few years I've rekindled my love of Squirrel Hunting.
Take care.
Gum Slough

Gum, there's just something special about slipping around the mountains and dark hardwoods of the southeast, hunting gray squirrels with a .32 Muzzleloader that, despite my better efforts, I have not been able to fully explain. IMO, its a real challenge, a test of ones hunting skills, patience, marksmanship, and some luck. Despite the ticks, bugs, snakes, heat and humidity (other than winter), it is the most enjoyable and rewarding hunting I have ever done. Something about being in all camo, slipping around and sending that patched .310 round ball up in the trees and hitting such a small target that is unexplainable for this ole boy.

I've killed my fair share of deer, even elk, with muzzleloaders, but all in all, gray squirrel hunting with my Crockett Squirrel rifle is my favorite.

But that's just me.

Gum, there's just something special about slipping around the mountains and dark hardwoods of the southeast, hunting gray squirrels with a .32 Muzzleloader that, despite my better efforts, I have not been able to fully explain. IMO, its a real challenge, a test of ones hunting skills, patience, marksmanship, and some luck. Despite the ticks, bugs, snakes, heat and humidity (other than winter), it is the most enjoyable and rewarding hunting I have ever done. Something about being in all camo, slipping around and sending that patched .310 round ball up in the trees and hitting such a small target that is unexplainable for this ole boy.

I've killed my fair share of deer, even elk, with muzzleloaders, but all in all, gray squirrel hunting with my Crockett Squirrel rifle is my favorite.

But that's just me.
Squirrel hunting has always been my favorite. I just wish a squirrel was as big as a deer.

Squirrel hunting has always been my favorite. I just wish a squirrel was as big as a deer.
No way, man. The daily limit of six would be killer trying to pack them out of the woods. And could you imagine how loud of a "thud" sound they would make after being shot out of the top of a tree? :)

A little over that for us here in Tennessee. I think it is the 26th. I usually wait for it to cool off a bit before I start. Like late October. But I'm thinking first of September this year.
No doubt October would provide more action. However, unless the squirrels are cutting acorns, walnuts, hickory, etc at first of September, it will really test ones hunting skills. Not as high of action but when you do you get one, you really earned it.

Ya know, I don't mind hunting the early season in the heat, I don't mind the humidity, I don't mind the ticks, chiggers, snakes, spiders, but I do not like the the flies getting all over my killed critters.

Good Lord willing, I'll be out there for the fall opener in 20 days unless its pouring down rain.

No doubt October would provide more action. However, unless the squirrels are cutting acorns, walnuts, hickory, etc at first of September, it will really test ones hunting skills. Not as high of action but when you do you get one, you really earned it.
There are so many of them around here that you can find at least a couple almost anytime. Unless there are high winds or a storm hitting. I don't believe very many, if any, other folks around here hunt or eat them anymore. Even the guys I know that deer hunt. Ask them about eating squirrel and they think that is nasty. Oh well. More for me I guess.

A problem we have around here is that the skeeters are as big as squirrels. One gnaws on the nuts in a tree and the other one gnaws on the nut carrying the gun. It’s one reason I prefer hunting in cooler weather.
I hear ya. That's why I normally wait until it gets cooler. But sometimes the thickness (or thinness) of the wallet dictates when the hunting season starts.

Yes sir, hunting squirrels using dogs is awesome for when the leaves are off the trees. Best way to do it. Those Cur dogs can be mighty good hunters as well.

If I didn't already have 3 dogs I'd be looking for a squirrel dog.
Bud i had some good tree dogs {Mnt}. curs just go to broke up to hunt anymore but still hunting with my .32 this year. Laney

At one time, there was a group of guys who gathered informally here in PA the end of October for a squirrel camp rendezvous. My grandfather would pack his gear and go out to some family property the end of October and stay through the third Saturday of small game season. He had a tent and a skillet with three legs welded on it. Loaded his own shells and hunted his old home territory. I always wanted to go along, but He died before I could hunt (and mom was not about to let me skip school for even a week to go hunting. ) Now that I am retired, I would like to do it. In late October/early November. , the days are still warm and the nights hover around freezing. Perfect camping weather.. BTW, it was not until I was much older, that I realized his annual campsite was a mere 3/4 mile from an old country hotel owned by his cousin. I imagine there were several frosty evenings spent on a stool at the Fredericksville hotel..

A problem we have around here is that the skeeters are as big as squirrels. One gnaws on the nuts in a tree and the other one gnaws on the nut carrying the gun. It’s one reason I prefer hunting in cooler weather.
Skeeters are one thing I seldom have to deal with in these parts, thank God. I hate those things.

Hunting the early squirrel season.

Attachments

• th.jpg
    th.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 0
I've never hunted squirrels with dogs; coon, yes squirrels no. We've always had dogs but currently this is the first time in my adult life that I haven't had a 4-legged friend. We've had as many as 4 at a time and to me they are children. I like to spoil them, keep them happy and make sure they have the kind of love other family members share. The pain of losing one is agony and I seem to never know how to deal with that agony and I have never gotten over losing one regardless how long ago it may have been. We've rescued them, some were even gifted to us, some we fostered and a couple we paid for. I just wish humans were as honest, loyal and loving as dogs

Much to my displeasure, my wife and step son came home with a free puppy. Daisy was a hound beagle mix. As good natured as any dog could be , but totally untrainable. She got excited whenever we talked to her and just to show she could do something on command, we would says Daisy, wag your tail, which she did any time you said her name. She lived to hunt squirrels. No training what ever. She would chase the squirrel up a tree and wait for me to catch up. Then she would circle to the opposite side of the tree and bark, sending the squirrel scurrying to me side of the tree. At least a couple dozen times, she would bug me until we went for a walk in the wood lot and she got a squirrel. I'd pop' em with a 22 short, and often times let her have the squirrel as a reward. She and my other hunting companion, Cochise a Britany, , are buried up on the hill over looking the farm. I often remember them together running across the hay field in late spring chasing butterflies. or on a picture post card perfect Autumn afternoon, walking up the logging trail through the wood lot

There's a whole pack of dogs and a horse, I look forward to seeing again.

Latest posts

Back