• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2023 Fall Squirrel Season...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our season opens in mid September. Personally, I preferred the old opener in mid October. By then a lot of the foliage is down and you can spot them better. Here it's still too hot in mid September, and it's still much too green.
Ya know, there is no doubt that the heat can make things miserable during September and/or any other warmer weather squirrel hunting. Ticks, snakes, gnats, flies, and especially the humidity. Nothing like being out hunting when things cool down a bit, as well as the foliage thins down. With squirrels running around like crazy they are no doubt much easier to get close to as they are storing up for the winter. However, hunting the thick stuff (even in the heat and humidity) has and will always have a special place in my heart. Being a hard core bow hunter for many years, there's nothing like being all dressed up in camo and being concealed by the foliage. Indeed, hunting the thick stuff during the warm months has its disadvantages but it can also be used as an asset. Ya just have to spray down, sneak in there quietly and get close. That really makes it all worth it for this ole boy even when it takes quite a while to get a shot.

IMO, the worse part about hunting in humid and hot weather conditions is trying to keep the flies off the meat and being concerned about how long one wants to wait before getting the meat cooled down. That, in turn, can and has reduced the distance I travel in the woods/mountains and/or sometimes cuts my hunts short.

For squirrels, I sometimes take a smaller cooler with ice and keep it in my truck or on my ATV. I put the squirrels in WalMart bags and put them into the cooler, then its back to the hunt.

By far, the most challenging and most difficult time of year to hunt squirrels is late winter. Very difficult to get the action one gets during the earlier months. About the only way it can be done here is to know where the den trees are at and sneak in there before daylight and wait. The thicker the brush the better for late season squirrels here.

Last edited:
Three years ago they changed our season start fro m mid October to mid September. That first year, I hunted some mornings in the low thirty’s. It was great. If it’s warm and humid I don’t go. That time of year the cool fronts are rolling through. I wait it out.

My wife and I save a puppy fix'n to abandoned, supposedly he's a designer breed. Aussie-Doddle(I can type that but I can't let him hear being referred to as a Designer Breed, he he prefers Slough Dog or Mutt.) Let the wife get him to give a lady she knows.
After about 2 weeks of watching this little puppy tree Squirrels, watching them barking at them, following them as they went from one tree top to the other, and adding a different bark while following them . I told her his Nit going anywhere that's been little over 2 years.
I didn't teach him how become a Squirrel Dog, he taught me how use a Squirrel Hunting Dog.
My new Hunting Buddy, Henry.
I really look forward to Squirrel Season.

20,203 squirrel season!?! That far in the future, the squirrels may be the size of bears! We will have rayguns, hopefully…..

Hunting Squirrels with dogs/ hounds is different than sitting or stalking them. Hunting them with dogs is a lot of fun!!!
Here’s my two. Both mountain Cur. The red one is still young but she is really good. The yellow one, he is the best dog I ever had in my life, and I had lots of dogs!!!!

Attachments

• E106AEAE-2BFD-4143-8445-253A12CD530A.jpeg
    E106AEAE-2BFD-4143-8445-253A12CD530A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 62F9433D-E2E6-4C3F-BAB6-79D1680CE7ED.jpeg
    62F9433D-E2E6-4C3F-BAB6-79D1680CE7ED.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 62589AFA-5E5C-4BF7-85C5-0F3F77E0BDC8.jpeg
    62589AFA-5E5C-4BF7-85C5-0F3F77E0BDC8.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
October 15th in Indiana! Can't wait!
You'll like this information even better, Indiana's squirrel season for Grey and Fox Squirrels starts August 15th. The Mid October season is for Grey and Red Foxes in the Furbearer section. I'm just across the border of IN and am thinking about going over there a time or two this Fall.

Our's opens Sept.3. I just picked up another Original English Double barrel muzzleloader (1860 /70"s era). Was advertised as a 12ga. turns out it is a 15 gauge. Waiting on a new sear for LH lock from TOW. Hopefully I can get it shooting before opener. Has perfect bores and the prettiest wood that I have seen on one. If not, ready I'll grab one of the other 5 I have. Can't wait.

Hunting Squirrels with dogs/ hounds is different than sitting or stalking them. Hunting them with dogs is a lot of fun!!!
Here’s my two. Both mountain Cur. The red one is still young but she is really good. The yellow one, he is the best dog I ever had in my life, and I had lots of dogs!!!!
Yes sir, hunting squirrels using dogs is awesome for when the leaves are off the trees. Best way to do it. Those Cur dogs can be mighty good hunters as well.

If I didn't already have 3 dogs I'd be looking for a squirrel dog.

My wife and I save a puppy fix'n to abandoned, supposedly he's a designer breed. Aussie-Doddle(I can type that but I can't let him hear being referred to as a Designer Breed, he he prefers Slough Dog or Mutt.) Let the wife get him to give a lady she knows.
After about 2 weeks of watching this little puppy tree Squirrels, watching them barking at them, following them as they went from one tree top to the other, and adding a different bark while following them . I told her his Nit going anywhere that's been little over 2 years.
I didn't teach him how become a Squirrel Dog, he taught me how use a Squirrel Hunting Dog.
My new Hunting Buddy, Henry.
I really look forward to Squirrel Season.

I've never hunted squirrels with dogs; coon, yes squirrels no. We've always had dogs but currently this is the first time in my adult life that I haven't had a 4-legged friend. We've had as many as 4 at a time and to me they are children. I like to spoil them, keep them happy and make sure they have the kind of love other family members share. The pain of losing one is agony and I seem to never know how to deal with that agony and I have never gotten over losing one regardless how long ago it may have been. We've rescued them, some were even gifted to us, some we fostered and a couple we paid for. I just wish humans were as honest, loyal and loving as dogs are.

Latest posts

Back