• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Upon further thought and research, I believe Fred is correct. It is a beaver. With the nose area deteriorated and no lower jaw, it threw me off. But this suggests it is a beaver. What continues to puzzle me is it was found up in the mountains up high. The closest water that I know of is a couple of miles away at a minimum.

Attachments

• IMG_2101.png
    IMG_2101.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
My trick for that is I use just 1 big cube. Pour in enough amber liquid to make it float, sip and enjoy.

Flash back to a couple deer seasons ago, me and one of my brothers were at camp (my other 2 weren't going to make it until the weekend), sitting there one evening he says "damn Tom, we've drank 4 bottles of whiskey this week". My response was, "glad I brought 6 with me". It's always good food, good whiskey, and good times at deer camp. We even manage to load up the freezers most years.
Good friends, food., drink, camp, and hunting. Doesn't get much better.

What continues to puzzle me is it was found up in the mountains up high. The closest water that I know of is a couple of miles away at a minimum.
Some predators will make a kill and carry it off and eat it later. I jumped a sleeping coyote early one frosty morning. The yote jumped to it's feet ducked it's head down, picked up a dead rabbit 🐇 and took off. The frosty ground showed the spot where the yote slept and the spot where the dead rabbit layed. Clear of the heavy frost.

Some predators will make a kill and carry it off and eat it later. I jumped a sleeping coyote early one frosty morning. The yote jumped to it's feet ducked it's head down, picked up a dead rabbit 🐇 and took off. The frosty ground showed the spot where the yote slept and the spot where the dead rabbit layed. Clear of the heavy frost.
Absolutely that can happen and that was the first thing I though of. The thing that puzzles me is it seems very unlikely anything is going to drag a beaver up a mountain. I did a google map search of the area and the river is definitely at least 1.5 miles if not more downhill from that location.

Absolutely that can happen and that was the first thing I though of. The thing that puzzles me is it seems very unlikely anything is going to drag a beaver up a mountain. I did a google map search of the area and the river is definitely at least 1.5 miles if not more downhill from that location.
BIG hawk or eagle.

Squirrels, skunks, and porcupines will find bone and antlers carry/drag them to a safe spot and gnaw on them.

Skulls and antlers.
Gives them a little extra minerals.
I've seen this happen while hunting and also outback of my house when I lived on the river. Wife put a bull skull out and the squirrels chewed the heck out of it.

Local gun dealer told me on the phone he has a trade-in "small TC muzzleloader, he thinks .45, suitable for squirrels". Sounds like a Seneca or a Cherokee. Might look at that, whaddya think? .45 is only .045" larger radius than a .36

Back