• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2023 Fall Squirrel Season...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, fellas. This fine squirrel hunting weather is really working on me. Been busier than a one-eyed cat trying to watch two mouse holes around here trying to get all my chores done before knee replacement time. Have most of the heavy work done. Still have to clean out the gutters one last time for the year. Rain in the forecast the next couple of days so I should be able to get pretty much caught up on my inside work as well.

Which brings me to this. My "want bumps" are itching way bad to get out there again. I said I was done, but, another hankering keeps whispering in my ear. That would be getting a squirrel with my .54 GPR. Seriously considering re-sighting it in for 35 yards or so, and with a reduced charge, and trying to get just one more, last squirrel. I mean, this one would be the last, last, one for the year. Next weeks forecast is calling for some fairly nice weather. So, we shall see.

Firewood mostly done.
IMG_1850.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1846.jpeg
    IMG_1846.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
So yeah, I think that if I get the chance to re-sight my GPR in with 30 grains of 3F before this Tuesday, I might just get back out there one more, last, time and chase a few more bushy tails around these hills before "oh no" time.

I'd really like to try and bark one if possible.

My "want bumps" are itching big time.

Last edited:
Mine too Ed. Squirrels come back in Monday. I’m tired of skinning deer heads. Ready for some hunting next week. Weather looks pretty good here too. Windy Monday and Wednesday I’m taking a load of salted deer capes to a tannery in New York State. The other days, I’m planning on getting some hunting in.

They’re working on the walnuts at my place now. They left them alone until lately.

Let us know how surgery goes when you’re up to it. I’ll keep you in my prayers.

Mine too Ed. Squirrels come back in Monday. I’m tired of skinning deer heads. Ready for some hunting next week. Weather looks pretty good here too. Windy Monday and Wednesday I’m taking a load of salted deer capes to a tannery in New York State. The other days, I’m planning on getting some hunting in.

They’re working on the walnuts at my place now. They left them alone until lately.

Let us know how surgery goes when you’re up to it. I’ll keep you in my prayers.
Best of luck to you, Jim. I hope you kill a bunch of squirrels. Beautiful time to be out in the woods for sure.

I'll let you all know about knee replacement. I'm a tough old fart that has bounced back pretty good from 6 other bone surgeries. Hope this one works out the same.

Well my squirrel book arrived in the mail today. However, I think I'm going to wait to read it until I get back home and I'm just sitting around trying to heal up.

Also, looks like I won't be going out to try to bark a squirrel. But I would like to try it perhaps during the early hunt in May and June.

Last edited:
Monday. Don't know what time yet. Suppose to be about a 6 hour operation. Considering the distance we have to travel, I surely hope its first thing in the morning.
Ed, hope the best for ya.
Looks like y'all will be stay nice and warm, looks like a good amount of wood.
Myrtle and I will also put you in are prays.
Take care my friend.
P.S. I have this weekend off.
So maybe, just maybe I'll be able to and to this thread, with pictures and a good tale of being in the woods.
Take Care Stay Safe.
Fred

I hunted yesterday morning for a couple hours at home. Didn’t see a squirrel. I hunted this spot before deer season and saw quite a few. I heard a couple but that’s it.

This morning I went a half mIke down the road to a spot I’ve shot quite a few this year. It’s the most action I’ve seen this year. The rut is on!!

I got 2 and missed a few. One of my misses I had no excuse the other two were through some brush. I thought it was open enough but when the sun came up, I could see different. That’s my excuse and I’m sticking with it!

It was a perfect morning. Cold calm and clear.

Tomorrow morning I’m going to a farm in the bordering county that has fox squirrels. I’m really excited. I’ve shot a couple dozen over the years with.22’s but not with a muzzleloader.

Report coming tomorrow.
IMG_3019.jpeg

I hunted yesterday morning for a couple hours at home. Didn’t see a squirrel. I hunted this spot before deer season and saw quite a few. I heard a couple but that’s it.

This morning I went a half mIke down the road to a spot I’ve shot quite a few this year. It’s the most action I’ve seen this year. The rut is on!!

I got 2 and missed a few. One of my misses I had no excuse the other two were through some brush. I thought it was open enough but when the sun came up, I could see different. That’s my excuse and I’m sticking with it!

It was a perfect morning. Cold calm and clear.

Tomorrow morning I’m going to a farm in the bordering county that has fox squirrels. I’m really excited. I’ve shot a couple dozen over the years with.22’s but not with a muzzleloader.

Report coming tomorrow.View attachment 276689
Congrats on a fine hunt. You did well.

Indeed, its that time of year again where the squirrel woods change.

Good luck with the surgery, Ed! I'll be waiting for pretty nurse stories.
Ed, hope the best for ya.
Looks like y'all will be stay nice and warm, looks like a good amount of wood.
Myrtle and I will also put you in are prays.
Take care my friend.
P.S. I have this weekend off.
So maybe, just maybe I'll be able to and to this thread, with pictures and a good tale of being in the woods.
Take Care Stay Safe.

Thank you, all.

Last edited:
I’ll be praying for a smooth operation and a quick recovery!
Thanks, Jim. Pretty sure it won't be too bad. Everyone that I have talked with that's been through knee replacement says PT is the worse part, which begins right away.

I just want to do this right so I can get back on my feet without lasting complications. I'm way to mobile of a person for that nonsense.

Latest posts

Back