• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

20 ga shotgun loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What would be a light bp 20 ga shotgun load for an older, probably early 20th century shotgun? Just something to shoot at a bird or rabbit at about 20 yards or so. This goes with the earlier post on the newly acquired side by side.

5/8 - 3/4 ounce of shot 30-50 grains of powder, roughly makes a nice light load for bunnies.
The way I would approach it, would be to use an adjustable measure, start at 25 or 30 grains of powder by volume and use that same volume of shot. Work your way up to 50 grains or until desired results are reached.
If more killing power is need use a larger shot size rather than increasing the load. One pellet size BB is often deadlier than 3 or 4 size 8
It doesn't take much to kill rabbits.
Haven't read your post about the gun, use your best judgement.

Not knowing the condition of your shotgun, I'll throw this out for a general info starting point taken off the internet from the GOEX powder website.
20ga-
3/4 oz 55grs 2F 990fps
7/8 oz 61grs 2F 990fps
7/8 oz 69grs 2F 1010fps
Good luck

Last edited:
55 grains of 2Fg with 3/4 ounce of #6 shot is a light small game load. That's a two dram load.

LD
That's exactly the same as the load Dixie Gun Works lists in their 1980 catalog for a "light" load in a 20 guage. :thumb:

Some things never change.

For what it's worth, Dixie also says a medium load in the 20 would be 65 grains of 2Fg powder under 1 ounce and 75 grains of 2Fg powder under 1 ounce would be a Heavy load.

The gun is old but not ancient. We shot it with about 30 grns and maybe too light load of shot just to see if it worked. I think it would handle 50 -55 grns of 2F

The gun is old but not ancient. We shot it with about 30 grns and maybe too light load of shot just to see if it worked. I think it would handle 50 -55 grns of 2F

30 grains works great for shooting rabbits out of the flower bed from the house window. :D

30 grains would be approximately 7/16 or 1/2 ounces of shot.
Ya, that sounds light, most of the time when I use loads that light i'm 10 yards or less. I can't stress the understanding of knowing how to load vs. looking for load data enough. Every gun and load is unique. There are a lot of "tricks" to getting performance out of light loads, most people just increase powder and lead to increase performance.. I don't.
If you look at it like a single projectile, it's similar to a 50 cal pistol.
If you need more range or power, then you might need more powder and lead.
It's all about experimentation.

30 grains is the lightest I would go.

In my 20ga Flintlock Fowler, I load 60gr of 2f by volume under 70gr by vol of #5 lead shot for turkeys. It’ll kill a rabbit just as dead I’ll bet!!!

Latest posts

Back