• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1862 Richmond .58 Repro

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve287 said:
Gotcha. Can I just lube up with the bore butter I have then ?

Some swear by it, more wont use it. I use a dry patch lube system designed by Dutch (buy his system). I would use Hoppes #9 black powder solvent and muzzle loading patch lube if I was you. Cant be beat for plinking, not to be left in bore too long (hunting?) as it is a wetter lube and can allow rust to start.

Though you don't say I'm thinking you are shooting mini balls. In our area (MD & VA) Bore Butter is going to turn into a liquid on an average summer day unless you stiffen it with beeswax and if you haven't been there you won't believe how frustrating that can be. A good lube, quick to make and with easy to find ingredients is a mix of olive oil and beeswax mixed in a double boiler. It should be stiff enough that it doesn't melt if you set a lubed bullet in the sun. You can add other things to it but they really aren't needed.

"Just curious why my thread was moved to the smoothbore forum?"

I've been wondering about that too. It ought to go back in the percussion rifle forum where it belongs so that it can be located again. Do you suppose we have a moderator that thinks all muskets and Civil War firearms are smoothbore?

There!
It's moved!

Are you happy now?

(Actually, this is from a voice box my son had during his college years. It was the sound of a very nasal mothers voice saying,

"IT'S BROKEN!
ARE YOU HAPPY NOW?" ) :rotf:

Every basic questioned asked would have been easily answered with the search function. A little research is much more rewarding than being spoon fed info. Just saying. Enjoy the Richmond. I shoot a lot of Civil War pieces and always start with the standard military load and work from there. Use real BP, the Minie was designed for it after all.

Back