• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1861 Springfield

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The original military loads were. a 405 gr bullet over 55 grains BP for the carbine and 70 grains BP under a 500 gr bullet for the rifle.
It seems everyone says the load was different? I read that they shot forty grains? Now I have no idea what the load was?

.... Now I have no idea what the load was?
I would guess that in the heat of battle that was probably pretty common. (I'm in the middle of watching "Gettysburg").

Seriously though, it's not an exact science, and is going to vary from rifle to rifle what it shoots best with, and anyway, today's powder isn't the same, so it's not really that big of a "need to know" IMO. I think when you've got some idea of a range, which you got here and now, you can just start on the low end or whatever you're comfortable with, and work up from there.

I generally shoot the RCBS Hogdon in N-SSA competition and with the tall base plug, it comes in at about 380ish gr. With 42g 3f Swiss, is a sub 2moa load in my Parker Hales.

Here is a link to the Lee .58 REAL bullet. You can size these, but the premise is Rifling.Engraved.At.Loading so they kind of size themselves when you load. Works a bit like a Minnie. If you are working at 50 yds they are fine and a lot lighter, less powder and recoil.... At 100 yds. you may prefer the Minnie.. Lee 2-Cavity Bullet Mold 58-440-REAL 58 Cal (592 Diameter) 440 Grain
Good luck even getting a .592 started down the barrel. As for the weight, 440g isn't out of line for a musket. One mine shoots the .580 Rapine "Trashcan" that clocks in at about 430g.

If you want to really find out what your rifle is capable of, stick with minies, learn how to use them properly and enjoy.

Good luck even getting a .592 started down the barrel. As for the weight, 440g isn't out of line for a musket. One mine shoots the .580 Rapine "Trashcan" that clocks in at about 430g.

If you want to really find out what your rifle is capable of, stick with minies, learn how to use them properly and enjoy.
Yeah, that trashcan is hard to find now, but if you can find the mold, that is the one for target shooting for sure! I forgot about those.

I did skirmishing with the '61 for a few years. Lyman had a target minnie mold. It made a lighter slug. A sizer was used. We used, for target work at 50 and 100 yards, 40 to 45 grains of fff. That load worked well on targets.
Is that the blue-grey target? #578675 . Or a different one?

thanks you everybody's help with my question it has given me a starting point thanks aagain

I would guess that in the heat of battle that was probably pretty common. (I'm in the middle of watching "Gettysburg").

Seriously though, it's not an exact science, and is going to vary from rifle to rifle what it shoots best with, and anyway, today's powder isn't the same, so it's not really that big of a "need to know" IMO. I think when you've got some idea of a range, which you got here and now, you can just start on the low end or whatever you're comfortable with, and work up from there.

There weren't measuring powder charges - they were pre-measured in paper cartridges. Quite how much of it actually got down the barrel was a matter of conjecture and needed a certain amount of self-control that comes from training and muscle memory.

British-style Enfield paper cartridges were loaded with two and one half drams - 68.5gr of 'fine rifle powder'. Whether or not that equates to 1.5 or 2 Fg is still debatable. 60gr was allegedly the service load for the US Springfield rifle - also suitable for the Artillery carbine aka Musketoon.

... 60gr was allegedly the service load for the US Springfield rifle ...
I like shooting mine with 65 grains; it seems to shoot well and produce a satisfying experience with that load. Do you know if there's a "maximum recommended" load? There's some dummy in a YouTube video shooting his with 120 grains. Seems kind of sketchy to me.

I like shooting mine with 65 grains; it seems to shoot well and produce a satisfying experience with that load. Do you know if there's a "maximum recommended" load? There's some dummy in a YouTube video shooting his with 120 grains. Seems kind of sketchy to me.
If you're shooting minies, quit adding more powder. You'll destroy accuracy as the skirt deforms as it exits the barrel. The minie was designed to operate in a defined pressure range. Too little pressure and the skirt will not engage the rifling to stabilize the bullet. Too much and you blow the skirt and destroy accuracy.

But what would we know about it-
IMG_20210509_155842.jpg
20170904_082823.jpg

Whatever works for you. I doubt there's much detectable difference between the official 60gr load and yours. I'm no expert on US martial arms, so I'm not able to comment on a 'maximum load' there being not other documented load other than the one above. I've never encountered any paperwork that suggests that load trials were undertaken, at least not that were made available to the public. I'm hoping that a real expert might chime in here.

I see no point (other than for historical accuracy) in slinging 500 grains of lead downrange just to make holes or clang steel. The less-is-more approach for lead and powder consumption just makes sense for target use.
The point in a heavier bullet is not weight, but length.

Latest posts

Back