• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1861 Springfield

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucky1

32 Cal
Reaction score
hey not sure if this goes here but i was willed a 1861 Springfield rifle civil war not a original this is a euro-arms made in Italy and all the stuff to go with it can any body give me a idea for how many grains of powder i should use i am going to be shooting maxi balls and knowing the guy that willed it to me they are going to be as close as the ones they used then could use some help with this thanks

If I remember right 60 grains was the standard "military load" in the day, using a Minie ball. I shoot my Colt Special repro with 65 grains, as 60 seems a little light, but I'm still experimenting with load development.
Brett Gibbons the paper cartridge historian in Gettysburg says that Swiss 1.5FG powder is the closest to the military powder of the 1860s. So a little more than 60 of 2Fg makes sense.

Brett Gibbons the paper cartridge historian in Gettysburg says that Swiss 1.5FG powder is the closest to the military powder of the 1860s. So a little more than 60 of 2Fg makes sense.
thank you that will be a good starting point

hey not sure if this goes here but i was willed a 1861 Springfield rifle civil war not a original this is a euro-arms made in Italy and all the stuff to go with it can any body give me a idea for how many grains of powder i should use i am going to be shooting maxi balls and knowing the guy that willed it to me they are going to be as close as the ones they used then could use some help with this thanks
We have been over this ground many times. First off, you'll probably find a maxi ball won't shoot well at all so if that happens, well..... it was designed for minies. Next, even though the "military" load was 60g 2f, that's an approximation since we're not using military powder from the 1860s. Once you get around to minies, let us know.

Not like we don't shoot Civil War arms or anything.......
IMG_20220310_173356.jpg

First, ditch the Maxi-balls. Can't imagine it will shoot them accurately with the slow twist your rifle has. Then get a Minie-ball sized .001-.002 under bore size. I get mine from Pat Kaboskey (Civil War Bullet Man), and he will size them to your specs. Using a generic .575 Minie in my rifle, bore size .581, I get "groups" of about 2 ft. at 25 yards. Using a .580 Minie, i get cloverleafs at 50 yards, and around 2" groups at 100. As far as charging goes, 60 grains of whatever reasonably appropriate powder will usually work fine. Mostly nowadays I use Swiss 3f in my original Springfield and Colt Special Musket. I get around 1070 fps with that load. Goex is much weaker, but works to just sling lead, giving about 980 fps. That would actually approximate the original loads from the 19th century. I also use Pyro P with good results, but Pyro RS gives dismal results in my guns, as it seems not to expand the Minie to engage the rifling. PRB's may be an option, as my rifles shoot them very accurately, but they hit 24" above POA at 50 yards.

I couldn’t get Minies or Maxies to work in imported repros, patched round balls yes.
I was told original Springfields used progressive twist rifling designed for Minies.
So I found an ugly beat up ‘63 Springfield and it groups Minies even better than PRBs.
Who’d a thunk them old timers knew what they were doing?

The original military loads were. a 405 gr bullet over 55 grains BP for the carbine and 70 grains BP under a 500 gr bullet for the rifle.

Mini balls?

I did skirmishing with the '61 for a few years. Lyman had a target minnie mold. It made a lighter slug. A sizer was used. We used, for target work at 50 and 100 yards, 40 to 45 grains of fff. That load worked well on targets.

I did skirmishing with the '61 for a few years. Lyman had a target minnie mold. It made a lighter slug. A sizer was used. We used, for target work at 50 and 100 yards, 40 to 45 grains of fff. That load worked well on targets.
As derived from your use of the past tense, I assume these molds are no longer made? I'd love a lighter bullet for my rifle muskets. I see no point (other than for historical accuracy) in slinging 500 grains of lead downrange just to make holes or clang steel. The less-is-more approach for lead and powder consumption just makes sense for target use.

Latest posts

Back