• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1858 by Ruger?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Protrucker

45 Cal.
Reaction score
A friend of mine has two stainless 1858's made by Ruger that he wants to sell. He has never been able to give me a price on these. What would be a fair value?

Never heard of Ruger making a copy of the 1858. They are probably Old Armies, which "kinda-sorta" look like 1858s. If so, I'd advise you grab them if it won't kill your budget.

Fair value is what is satisfactory to both parties. Heck, if they are in real good condition offer him $300 each and go from there.

M.D. said:
I didn't see any stainless ROA's at this week ends gun show but blued models were going for 600.00, to give you some kind of idea.

Here in yUK, ANY ROA, blued or s/s, is hitting north of $800.

tac

I don't doubt that Rugar Old Armies are selling for something north of $500 but to me that seems like a high price to pay for a gun that you can't buy important parts for anymore.

Rugar no longer makes the Old Army and although the internal lock parts (which are basically from the Blackhawk) are still for sale, the cylinder, loading lever and cylinder pin are scarce as hen's teeth.

A nice Pietta or Uberti copy of a Remington 1858 New Army not only costs less but parts are still available.

Zonie said:
I don't doubt that Rugar Old Armies are selling for something north of $500 but to me that seems like a high price to pay for a gun that you can't buy important parts for anymore.

Rugar no longer makes the Old Army and although the internal lock parts (which are basically from the Blackhawk) are still for sale, the cylinder, loading lever and cylinder pin are scarce as hen's teeth.

A nice Pietta or Uberti copy of a Remington 1858 New Army not only costs less but parts are still available.

I have to agree totally.

r

Personally, the Old Army was my go to gun for wood chucks. Had pietta 1858's, and a few colt repros. Despite the parts problem, a Ruger is still a much better quality gun. Worth two Piettas at least.

At a show this weekend there were two NIB Old Army revolvers.

Stainless was $650
Blue was $550

The Blue one was as cheap as I have seen them asking in the last year. You have to beware of parts but a NIB is probably not going to break for quite awhile. Mine sure hasn't.

The only thing that breaks on them is the loading rod and that is almost always from using them improperly.
New loading rods can be made by any competent machinist.
My Ruger is a shooter but my worked over Pietta is fully the equal, if not a bit better as I have shot better scores with it.

M.D. said:
The only thing that breaks on them is the loading rod and that is almost always from using them improperly.
New loading rods can be made by any competent machinist.
My Ruger is a shooter but my worked over Pietta is fully the equal, if not a bit better as I have shot better scores with it.

I use the revolver loading stand from Powder Inc., removes the possibility of breaking the loading lever on any of the revolvers.

What contributes to breaking loading levers is using Cream of Wheat as a filler and adding 1 or 2 grains too much, C.O.W. does not compress.

If a person wants a really great loading stand there is one called the Tower of Power.

Industrial strength.

There may be some what of a spread depending on the pistols, blue, stainless, with adjustable sights or non adjustable sights.

I would say in the $400 to $500 range, there are no more, but it depends on how much you really want one. Parts are hard to find to repair them, but there is not much to break on them.

If I were going to buy one I would buy a loading stand from Powder Inc. and use it. You can get nipples from TOW and a good nipple wrench from Tedd Cash.

I would not buy one unless I could get the nipples out of the cylinder before laying out my money.

I bought one here last year, made a road trip to inspect the pistol, $300.

Mine broke at the trigger guard on a pig hunt so they CAN break in places other than the loading rod. No more warranty service so glad it broke 20 years ago! NICE guns but as per above some Italian imports can shoot as well. Have fun....

In all honesty, I do not see a lot of accuracy between Uberti and Ruger, I do see a difference when a total tricked out Ruger is used.

My comment was mainly re breakage. Mine was NOT abused and had a crack clean through at front of the trigger guard that took a bit of close up inspection to find once accuracy went out the door (couldnt hit a rabbit at 10 yds).

As for accuracy I have a Pietta that shoots as well, my ROA is not tricked out, all factory. My experience is once in a while ya get a gun made on Weds afternoon that just plain shoots and sometimes ya get one finished up at 4:45Pm on a Friday and well.... That goes for about anything production made though doesn't it?

I had a friend who worked for GM and he said never to buy a vehicle made on Monday or Friday.

He said when they got bored they would pitch in stuff into doors to make cars have a raddle.

When I worked for a Cadillac dealer, a customer had an Eldorado with that problem. It took months to find out someone had put a large ball bearing inside the sealed up frame rail every time the car started or stopped a loud clunk was heard. :eek:ff Sorry.

This is fault of the guy in the upper part of Arizona, most likely snowed in.

I see an Old Army at a show, I pass. Just too highly priced these days. Someone on an auction site had a NIB stainless starting at around $950. That buys a fair bit of something else. But if one came my way at a reasonable price, I'd take it.

Latest posts

Back