• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do they make uberti 1858 5.5inch 36cal?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I want a .36 cal 1858 witha shorter barrel than 7.5 inch that uberti offers and I really don't want a pietta. When I look online at several different websites I find uberti sells the .36cal loading lever for 5.5 inch model and also the .36 cal barrel in 5.5 in. I have yet to be able to find said 5.5inch gun.
Have they ever made one? Do they currently make one? Where can I find one with shorter barrel? I would even be happy with the 6.5 inch but I don't want pietta if I can help it.

Also I have heard piettas stainless model revolvers are actually just nickel plated....is ubertis actually a stainless steel? Thanks guys.

Looking at Uberti website, they are currently NOT offering the Remington in .36 in any barrel length. I wonder if that makes mine more valuable.
In any case, maybe you could find one used (.36 7.5”), buy the 5.5” barrel and have it installed.

Blackpowderart,
Why not try to scare up a good buy on an Uberti and cut it down? There's plenty of info out there, if you're handy you should be able to have anything your heart desires.

Many years ago I had an early Uberti made Lyman branded Remington .36. It was made by Uberti for Lyman before Lyman switched to Euroarms. If remembering correctly the Uberti Lyman had a 5.5 " barrel; definitely not a 7.5 " barrel.

The Uberti / Lyman was very high quality; fit & finish were excellent... even the loading lever flat had a nicely stamped assembly number.

Action and cylinder timing was excellent, no bolt drag marring of cylinder.

Bought the Remington second hand at a gun show.

Being an older Remington revolver it had the smaller grip frame / grips; not the more recent larger grip frame / grips. In that era Uberti probably did not make stainless steel revolvers.

You might find one at a gun show or online auction. Guessing they are hard to find as the .44's seemed much more popular and a bigger seller.

Last edited:
I have that one, Lyman made 1971, 6.5”. Won Gunbroker auction. $350. Never been fired, still havent. Can’t bring myself to do it yet. And as you say, everything about it is perfect.
IMG_1822.jpeg
View attachment 225020
IMG_1915.jpeg

Last edited:
I have that one, Lyman made 1971, 6.5”. Won Gunbroker auction. $350. Never been fired, still havent. Can’t bring myself to do it yet. And as you say, everything about it is perfect.
Very nice ! Misremembered the barrel length now that I see your 6.5 ". Mine was a very good shooter.
Don't be too afraid to shoot and enjoy yours. Remember this life ain't a dress rehearsal. :horseback:

Don't be too afraid to shoot and enjoy yours. Remember this life ain't a dress rehearsal.
This is very true. These are replicas, they'll never end up in the Smithsonian. Might as well shoot em and enjoy em, that's what they're for. Their value will never climb like originals.
Right now I'm working on building my perfect pet 1860, with 2 barrel assemblies and a steel trigger guard if VTI ever gets some. All because it pleases me and I can without fear of ruining history. There's the true value.

I think my lack of firing it is because my Colt Navy .36 is so dam accurate and cool. I got tired of losing auctions on that one, I just got pssed and bought new from M&M Outfitters, got on sale for $340 (usually $399). I seem to have good luck with prices. I won my ‘48 Colt .31 no loading lever in April for $240. Hardly any bidders. Thinking most people dont know the ‘48 no lever is way more rare than ‘49 with lever.
So when I go to range, I take the 2 Colts.
With cap shortage, I gonna start taking the Ruger Single Six .22 (back left in picture) to have shooting time without burning thru remaining caps.

THANK YOU JESUS!!!!!!!
This no cap BS has to stop at some point. Even TOILET PAPER is available and its way more in demand than caps.
If it doesn’t get better by August I will sell them all. Don’t need a thousand dollars worth of door stops and aint into holding a zippo to the nipple to fire off.

Last edited:
It truly is. I have. TC Hawken.50 flint i bought i 1974 new. One day in Feb or March I stumbled across GB and had always liked the Remington. So I started bidding and lo and behold i won! Hooked, always wanted a 51 Colt Navy, got that. Then won auction on a whim on a 48 Colt .31 that nobody was bidding on.
Ya so now i got all the pistols i ever wanted and a cap shortage. Story of my life!

There was a video they only produce caps seasonally and now is when they start making them for this year. Last couple years were slower than normal with the coo coo virus and all

The Euroarms 1858 in .36 is a nice one. 6 7/16" barrel and .373" diameter chambers, same as the Navy Arms marketed .36 revolvers. It isn't unusual to see good ones crop up for sale.

Blackpowderart, about the Pietta revolvers, the .36 caliber 1858 is their .44 sized revolver without so much metal removed from the insides of the barrel and chambers. It would be a great excuse to make a piece with .44-40 rifling and chambers sized to use common off the shelf .44 pistol molds (really .43 diameter).

The other replicas .36's are made somewhat closer to the originals' slightly smaller size.

Latest posts

Back