• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just Picked up a Santa Barbara 1858

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Never been too much of an 1858 guy but I have heard many times that the Spanish made Santa Barbara 1858's were nice pistols. So I had a chance to get one at what I thought was a bargain. So didn't hesitate. Got this as you see it with the wood display case and all the accessories for $325 plus tax. Very nice condition and locks up tight. Bore and cylinders are spotless. It appears to have been well taken care of. Can't wait to get it out and burn some caps.

Attachments

• DSCN0780.JPG
    DSCN0780.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCN0781.JPG
    DSCN0781.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0782.JPG
    DSCN0782.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0783.JPG
    DSCN0783.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I never heard of a Santa Barbara. Do they still make them?Perhaps can you tell us a little about them.
The Santa Barbara was made in Spain. It's unique in the fact that it's ordnance grade weapon steel. Not a ton of them made. I snagged one a few years back and I ain't gonna say what I paid so as not to tick you guys off...LOL!
Let's just say the LGS that was selling it had no idea what it was or what it was worth.

I never heard of a Santa Barbara. Do they still make them?Perhaps can you tell us a little about them.
The Santa Barbara New model Army revolvers made in Spain are supposed to be a real step up from the Italian 1858's. As Captain Kirk stated they are made of ordnance grade steel. You don't see one for sale very often. Here is an excerpt from the Maker and Importer Marks on the Cap and Ball Revolver website.

The National Enterprise of Defense Industries was the Spanish manufacturer who produced the Remington New Model Army and Navy replicas in the 1970's. Santa Barbara was a state factory created in the 1960's by Francisco Franco. These weapons are not marked black powder only. The distribution of the NMA's continued until about 2000 when the factory ran out of stock and could no longer supply the model. The maker mark on the barrel was MADE BY E.N. SANTA BARBARA followed the the logo and "SPAIN". Santa Barbara Sistemas was denationalized by Spain and acquired by General Dynamics in July 2001.

The Santa-Barbara-1858 website says about 16,000 of these of all models were made. I wonder how many were imported into the US.
I see them about as often as the Centaure Colt replicas. There’s a website dedicated to them similar to the FROCS website. By all accounts they’re a well made replica and although parts are not available the website has a list of common wear parts that can be replaced with parts from other manufacturers, primarily Uberti and ASM. If memory serves they would require some fitting but you should be able to keep them running for a long time.

Edit: well, I’ve had my duh moment for the day… “ The Santa-Barbara-1858 website” carry on! 🤪

I see them about as often as the Centaure Colt replicas. There’s a website dedicated to them similar to the FROCS website. By all accounts they’re a well made replica and although parts are not available the website has a list of common wear parts that can be replaced with parts from other manufacturers, primarily Uberti and ASM. If memory serves they would require some fitting but you should be able to keep them running for a long time.

Edit: well, I’ve had my duh moment for the day… “ The Santa-Barbara-1858 website” carry on! 🤪
With an estimated production of only 16,000 that would put them in the same category as the the Centaure Colt replicas which had a total production of around 14,000 or so.

Latest posts

Back