• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1858 army problems

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jan buck

40 Cal.
Reaction score
i recently bought a used pietta rem revolver.
it only fires on the 2nd go around with dropping the hammer on the caps. #11 cci caps are used. they work fine on my 1860 army and my sons pietta 1858. weak main spring perhaps? any idea's?

Check the nipples, The caps may not be seating all of the way. The first hammer fall is seating them and the second is firing them.
They may need a little dressing w/ a fine file or replaced.
Jon D

I have an Euroarms 1858 that I used #11 caps on. They worked, but not perfect. I switched to #10 caps and it goes off firet time, every time! No need to squeeze the skirts anymore. You may want to get a new set of nipples. Sounds like the caps are not seating properly.

it seems like the hammer fall is weak. caps fit loosely on the nipples. i may have a extra set of nipples somewhere, will give it a try.

Someone might have put a lighter main spring in it.

Never a good idea for a C&B revolver.

#10 CCI is what my Pietta Remington likes. The hammer spring tension can be adjusted with the screw at the front base of the grips.

JonD
you were in fact correct about the nipples. i replaced them and all went bang on the first go around. a BIG :hatsoff: atta boy!! to you.

Back