• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1829 WBlake

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bornintheussr

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Ran in to this conversion musket in the pawn shop. Lock works properly, barrel and nippel in poor condition. Seller asking $600. You guys think it's OK deal?
20230915_142116.jpg
20230915_142124.jpg
20230915_142133.jpg
20230915_142116.jpg
20230915_142124.jpg
20230915_142133.jpg
20230915_142142.jpg
20230915_142152.jpg
20230915_142200.jpg

Looks like it's in its original length. I wouldn't call anything on it in poor condition. Probably saw some hard use. That being said I wouldn't shoot it, hang and enjoy. Rammer was replaced at some point. All the patina looks the same, and the stock cartouches are nice. Id say it's a good deal.

I'd be all over that for 600.

There's a solid rifle behind all that dirt. And I don't think it saw hard use at all. I think it was neglected. The screw heads are perfect. Which means people weren't constantly taking her apart.

And whatever you do, put aside all thoughts of removing JH REED from the stock. It's part of the rifle's history. With the serifs on the Es, it was likely done a long time ago.

Why are you reading this post?

Git to hump'n yer azz back to the store.

Last edited:
It's got moderate corrosion around the breech from the corrosive caps and powder. Could very well have been a early war gun. It's a good deal

Your musket is almost certainly Civil War used and very probably Confederate. Marking a gun like that was prohibited in the Union army, not that it wasn't done occasionally, but very common in the Confederate units.

I did a little research on fold3, and by ignoring men in cavalry units, found six Confederate soldiers listed as JH Reed, as well as one Union soldier. Of course, there were countless others enlisted under their full names on both sides. For instance, there were probably 20 or 30 enlisted as John Henry Reed and another 20 or 30 as James Harvey Reed, or.....you get the picture.

If you had some markings on the gun to narrow it down, it would be great, but as is stands now, don't mess with the etched initials.

I was born and raised in Florida, and the vast majority of people in Florida are actually from up in Yankeeland. I refer to it as the second wave of carpetbaggers. My point simply being that these days, it could have come from anywhere in the country.
If it was found in an attic in Florida, that might be a different matter.
Still probably Confederate, though.

I think norm flayderman stated most genuine confederate arms were found in the north. Most guns were confiscated by the occupying union in the south.

Latest posts

Back