• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoothbore Picture Thread. Please Post!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
George said:
Original smooth rifle, 49 1/2" octagonal barrel, forge welded, swamped, 28 ga./.56 caliber, hook breech, deadly on squirrels, has taken one deer at 55 yards.

Spence

Hey Spence, you mention a hooked breech. Does this gun have wedges then, or pins? I can't make out which it has.

Thanks, Skychief.

My NSW Chief's Grade. .62cal/20ga with a 36" barrel.
deb57e0c-917a-4c65-9b54-f5e919e379b6_zpscnvri3tn.jpg

62 cal smooth rifle I finished last fall with its first October 2014 buck. I'm turkey hunting with it at the moment but to no avail. If this weekend is successful I will post in the hunting forum

Seeing that you fella's are sharing some of your golden oldies, here is one of mine. Totally unmarked but it shoots with a French accent. 24 gauge double.
FrenchDoubleFlintlock012.jpg
FrenchDoubleFlintlock006.jpg

16 gauge smoothbore pistol i finished a couple months ago. shoots a nice pattern of 6 with 70 grains of fff. A real canon..lol

Grouse, I would think, too fast and too wild flushing. Woodcock, in my experience, flush close and spring up, then hold for just an instant before flapping away. A reasonable shot for a pistol.

Thank you Cruzatte. It might not work because I use an iphone. :idunno: In the process of trying to get the photo to post I ran out of time and forget to give a proper description. :doh:
Its a TOTW type C fusil with a 42 inch .62/20gauge barrel.

Another Short one. 34" full round 12ga. English......ish. Mental story being it was cut short for use on horseback and at some point the BP was lost and a leather pad added. Shoots good and has been a quail getting machine. however I've blown every shot I've had at a pig with it so far. :shake:

RS1s.jpg

RSs.jpg

LSs.jpg

TGs.jpg

Butts.jpg

20141024_095749sm.jpg

30 paces out. what a .715 ball does to a garbage bin of wet sand is impressive.
20130818_102921.jpg

Also, while we're posting original doubles. here is the most prized gun of my collection/accumulation.

High end Belgian percussion gun by Scheppers. Probably 1850s. 12ga, Fully engraved, Gold and silver inlays in great shape (stock was refinished before I got it) and a really good shooter. Prior to building the flinter this was my go to bird gun.

IMG_1159.jpg

IMG_1167.jpg

IMG_1165.jpg

IMG_1163.jpg

IMG_1154.jpg

IMG_1162.jpg

my buddy Jaeger with a snipe.
Jaegerwithsnipe.jpg

Both pieces are lovely. Thank you for sharing.

I am intrigued by the Belgian double. The hammers are delightful, as indeed is everything about it.

I am curious, do the raised areas on the sides of the barrels between the breech plug/nipple area and the flutes on the barrels, serve a structural purpose?

And do I understand correctly that you built the flinter above, and modified it yourself?

Very nice work.

Back