• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoothbore Picture Thread. Please Post!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all. These are fun Threads. You get to see such a variety of cool guns. Here's one of my favorites:
English Fowler/Officers Fusil by Mike Brooks. 41" X .62 Long Hammock barrel. Just over 6-lbs. Rick.

OK, for the record. Here is my Jackie Brown fowler. 20 ga. 31" barrel. Was ordered with 36" barrel but came 31". :confused: Do wish it were 36" to give more 'hang' and a more natural swing. Oh, well.
Jackie%20Brown%20fowler.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Rifleman1776 said:
Can't tell from the pic. Is that the specimen gun you brought here?

I wish it was one of my many specimen guns by Durs Egg, sadly it is my only specimen gun by anyone :hmm: :thumbsup:

A German (lock marked inside "SV/LA" for Suhl) half stocked bird gun done in the Spanish style. I'll say around 1720? Lock looks earlier. About .50 caliber, can't weigh much more than five pounds, handles wonderfully. No, I don't shoot it!

1720n.jpg

1720h.jpg

1720g.jpg

This one has been posted before and can't really hold much of a candle to many of those posted here. It's a 20ga early American smoothbore, 38" barrel, with a Chambers Colonial Va lock. It has a rear sight and shoots great with prb or bare ball. It also shoots well with shot and the rear sight actually helps. This gun was built by Matt Avance and the stock has nice flame & stripes not visible in this pic.

guns_800x597_zps3bheaqsm.jpg

Here it is with the 1820s Massachusetts rifle, and a German (? Flemish?) bird gun from about 1760... or what's left of it.

The front rod pipe was missing, and I have one temporarily stuck on, but sooner or later I'll get around to making a proper one to go on. The base for it is really long, so I will assume it had a double front rod pipe. Otherwise, in wonderfully original condition. Scraper marks are evident on the stock, just a beautiful hand worked surface. The gun is well used, but not abused. The lock is definitely worn out, but it does still spark. I took the breechplug out and it's about 7/16" long, and the threads were probably about 14 TPI, I'd guess. Just a little coarser than most modern threads, but not by much. It was lightly notched for the touch hole. The touch hole is in fine shape, and though I haven't measured it, it is still under 3/32", and it is coned on the inside. The barrel is L I G H T, and lightly swamped, the breech being about 1", the muzzle about 3/4", and the middle just shy of 3/4". The barrel is completely brown except for one small spot on the bottom inside the brass nose cap, where a little clean area of bright shiny temper blue remains. It would have been a bright and colorful gun when brand new. :wink:

The 1760's gun is in a little rougher shape. When I got it, the barrel had a rib screwed onto the bottom of it, and had a bad reconversion to flint. I'll eventually get the lock back in better shape, but it's not high on my list of priorities. The barrel, of course, was originally several inches longer. There is also a trap in the butt to hold a bayonet (a minor fad in the 18th century), no, the bayonet is long gone, unfortunately. Another gun that handles beautifully. I have photos of another gun, a rifle, that is very obviously by the same maker (the stock and most of the carving is identical, the hardware is similar, but not the same pattern). The lock is marked with the maker's name ("A. Mercier a Liege", which may be the maker of the gun, or just the lock, which is a flat faced lock). The engraving on my gun is FLAWLESS. No crossed lines, no bad places, nothing. Perfect, even to my VERY discerning eye. I guess when all you do is gun engraving, all day, every day, you ought to get good at it. :wink: Both the lock and the hardware may have been made in the gunsmith's shop, or they could well have simply been purchased from elsewhere. I do not know.

more photos can be seen here: http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Fatdutchman/library/Original Flintlocks/GermanFowler?sort=3&page=1
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Fatdutchman/library/Original Flintlocks/SpanishStyle?sort=3&page=1

Last edited by a moderator:
Back