• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jackie Brown "Carolina Smoothbore"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Our forum brother, @bornintheussr , started a thread about a really cool pistol he had acquired, and we were able to confirm that it had been made by Jackie Brown, a muzzleloading gunmaker in northern Mississippi. Check it out here: my new pistol

Over the course of that discussion, I mentioned owning a Jackie Brown fowler that had some features similar to those on the pistol. I was asked to post some photos of my smoothbore, and rather than hijack the other thread, I thought I would just start a new one.

Mr. Brown called this a "Carolina Smoothbore," but in our correspondence he simply referred to it as a "fowler." Note that some of the early English trade muskets were called "Carolina guns." This one is not a copy or replica of those, nor did Jackie try to represent it as such. The similarity in names is coincidental. Anyway, I ordered this one from Jackie in late 2009 and received it in early 2010. Jackie has built a lot of muzzleloaders, and I think this was more or less a standard model or design for him, although he was happy to accommodate reasonable requests for custom features, such as the type of wood, length of pull, or type of lock. I requested a walnut stock stained dark, an antique finish on the metal, a 13-1/4" LOP, and an L&R Queen Anne lock. The bore is 20 gauge, and I believe it has a Colerain barrel.

Here is a full-length view of the lock side:

J. Brown Fowler - Obverse.jpg

...and the off side:

J. Brown Fowler - Reverse.jpg

I apologize for the fuzzy photos. This gun has a 42" barrel, and it was hard to get the whole thing in the picture!

You can't really see it in the photo, but the tapered ramrod is a replacement that I made. The original rod was a simple 3/8" stained hickory stick with a threaded ferrule on one end. I keep it as a backup, but prefer a tapered rod for looks as well as function.

Here we have a close-up of the Queen Anne lock as well as the trigger and guard:

J. Brown Fowler - Queen Anne Lock.jpg

This lock had some issues when first received, but I do not consider that Jackie's fault. It was a mediocre to poor sparker and it would eat flints. I understand these are very common problems with L&R flint locks. I sent it to "the Lock Doctor," Brad Emig of Cabin Creek Muzzleloading for remediation. Brad tuned it up and it's as good as any now... very quick and reliable, and easy on flints. I would like to add that this gun does not have a vent liner, nor does it need one. Vent liners are vastly over-rated in my opinion. They can be an advantage for rifles with swamped barrels with heavy, thick sidewalls at the breech, but for a smoothbore like this one, a liner would be more of a liability than an asset.

Moving on, if you look at the pistol photos posted by @bornintheussr in the thread referenced above, you'll see a lot of similarities between that handgun and my fowler. The traditional "Tennessee" sideplate is one of them, also the swept-back trigger with the pigtail curl:

J. Brown Fowler - Sideplate.jpg

Another is the triggerguard itself. In looking at the pistol photos, it seemed to me that the triggerguard bow was quite large, and the guard on my fowler has exactly the same "acorn" finial up front:

J. Brown Fowler - Triggerguard.jpg

I'm thinking Mr. Brown may have modified a guard for a fowling piece to fit the pistol. I'll have to say, I like that larger bow on the pistol guard. It looks good to my eye, and I would consider it a very practical adaptation.

For the front sight, Jackie likes the old turtle:

J. Brown Fowler - Front Sight.jpg

We had a little discussion of these "turtle" front sights in a recent trade gun thread. Popular as they are, I don't think think they are authentic or "correct" for any period of distant history. However, muzzleloading gunsmiths are artisans as well as craftsmen, and we as customers need to accept some of the distinctive features these artisan/craftsmen design into the guns they make. With that in mind, Jackie likes the turtle, so that's what I got. Here is the gunmaker's signature:

J. Brown Fowler - Signature.jpg

Jackie told me that guns signed "J. Brown" were completed by him, while those guns marked just "Brown" were sold in the white, to be finished by the customer. Mr. Brown sent this one to me as a finished gun.

I have corresponded a little with Jackie recently. He told me he is still building a few guns, but he is not taking orders any more. Time takes its toll on all of us. I will say it was fun planning this fowler with him, and he was great to deal with. I have bought and then sold a few guns, but this one from Jackie Brown is a keeper.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
Bob, my one and only brush with a flint smoothbore that looked like it could be a barn find and shot with reliably instant ignition was a Jackie Brown I bought on this forum from Rebel, who I believe still posts occasionally. I think it was a 20 gauge, but it has been a while. Rob missed it so much that he bought it back from me. The memory of that fine, simple gun has kept the flintlock spark alive in this pilgrim. Just seeing it standing in a corner gave all sorts of class to our whole house, such was the magic of its lines.

and rather than hijack the other thread, I thought I would just start a new one.
And yet,,,, here's your new topic hijacked within 3 replies 🙄

Nice example of Jackie's work. Enjoy it.
I've seen a wide range of work from him over the years. Some guns, like a smoothrifle our friend Spence has, were fantastic, a few had me thinking he was "slipping", but most are like yours, clearly well made by a man who has done this before and has the skills and knowledge to be efficient and make a good solid gun, "in a workman like manner."

Mr. Brown called this a "Carolina Smoothbore," but in our correspondence he simply referred to it as a "fowler." Note that some of the early English trade muskets were called "Carolina guns." This one is not a copy or replica of those, nor did Jackie try to represent it as such. The similarity in names is coincidental

I'm no fowler expert so what is the difference between a Carolina Smoothbore and a Trade Gun for instance. Basically other than possible location it was made ie. Carolina's

I'm no fowler expert so what is the difference between a Carolina Smoothbore and a Trade Gun for instance. Basically other than possible location it was made ie. Carolina's
The Type-G trade gun was nicknamed the "Carolina Gun," not for its place of manufacture but for it's primary location of import into the colonies.
I am not sure why Jackie called his guns like the one in the op a, "Carolina smoothbore." But, as noted in the op he did not intend for it to have anything to do with the Type-G "Carolina Gun."

Hijacked ? I thought just posting Carolina guns we had or made ? .... D@mn ..... Pardon the he!! outta me !!
Yup,,, any opportunity for you to show off and blow your own horn,,, you'll take, eh?

I called it a hijack because as the op stated,,,, there is no intention for Jackie's "Carolina Smoothbore," to have any relationship with the Type-G guns you make so well.
And with the op clearly stating this it doesn't seem like an invitation to show off a bunch of Type-G guns..... Maybe an opportunity to show off some other Jackie Brown smoothbores.......

The Type-G trade gun was nicknamed the "Carolina Gun," not for its place of manufacture but for it's primary location of import into the colonies.
I am not sure why Jackie called his guns like the one in the op a, "Carolina smoothbore." But, as noted in the op he did not intend for it to have anything to do with the Type-G "Carolina Gun."
I appreciate the education. Thank you sir

Yup,,, any opportunity for you to show off and blow your own horn,,, you'll take, eh?

I called it a hijack because as the op stated,,,, there is no intention for Jackie's "Carolina Smoothbore," to have any relationship with the Type-G guns you make so well.
And with the op clearly stating this it doesn't seem like an invitation to show off a bunch of Type-G guns..... Maybe an opportunity to show off some other Jackie Brown smoothbores.......
LOL !!!! Well , like I told ole dude ... I apologize . I just like posting pics and talking trade guns . I didnt mean to hijack his thread . I'm just dumb , not rude ,on purpose anyway ... I didnt know thats what I was doin and certainly had no intentions of doing that or flaunting my " Gorgeous Hand made Carolina Gun " !!! LOL !!! :D ... :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231030-121933~2.png
    Screenshot_20231030-121933~2.png
    351.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Thanks for that interesting post Notchy Bob, I have been aware of Jackie Brown guns ever since I got into this hobby but I just learned a few more things as I do with most of your posts. I can remember 20 years ago or more seeing a full page color ad in Muzzleloader magazine featuring the Carolina Smoothbore by Jackie Brown. I don't know what it was about it but I longed for one of those guns for years. That was back before I had ever owned or even fired a flintlock, my only experience with muzzleloaders was a caplock TC New Englander Rifle that I had. Here it is many years and many smoothbores later and my fascination and love affair with smooth bored muzzleloaders is stronger than ever and it all started with that ad for the Carolina Smoothbore.

Last edited:
I just noticed I forgot to put quotes on Carolina. Most, actually all Carolina guns I've seen have that large thin trigger guard, I've heard it was for mittens, but I'm not sure if that.
It's on my list of builds... I feel I could replicate the guard fairly easy.

Addendum:
Here's what Clay Smith says about the naming of the Carolina Gun.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240301_162842_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240301_162842_Chrome.jpg
    366.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Great post and smoothie @Notchy Bob!

Most, actually all Carolina guns I've seen have that large thin trigger guard, I've heard it was for mittens, but I'm not sure if that.
I’ve always heard it was because the Indians liked to use 2 fingers on the trigger like drawing a bow. But who knows.

Gosh, fellas, maybe we all need to breathe deeply and take chill pills, or at least three fingers of good bourbon. It's all about sharing information and enthusiasm. Type G, Carolina, they are all wonderful.
Two fingers is acceptable to the Wife. Three fingers puts me in the dog house.

Latest posts

Back