• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jackie Brown "Carolina Smoothbore"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gosh, fellas, maybe we all need to breathe deeply and take chill pills, or at least three fingers of good bourbon. It's all about sharing information and enthusiasm. Type G, Carolina, they are all wonderful.

Three fingers? Two fingers is always fine with me; I mean, there's always tomorrow.

Gosh, fellas, maybe we all need to breathe deeply and take chill pills, or at least three fingers of good bourbon. It's all about sharing information and enthusiasm. Type G, Carolina, they are all wonderful.
Maker's 46...3 is a good start, neat.

This is my J Brown Fowler, It's around 25ish years old and has been a good gun.

Attachments

• IMG_20240302_165952.jpg
    IMG_20240302_165952.jpg
    941 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240302_170014.jpg
    IMG_20240302_170014.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240302_170033.jpg
    IMG_20240302_170033.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240302_170053.jpg
    IMG_20240302_170053.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Beautiful! A lefty, too, and mounted like a rifle. That's a really nice gun, and a good example of Jackie's versatility.

Thanks for showing it!

Notchy Bob
Here’s my Jackie Brown notchy Bob it’s a28 gauge with a l& r lock and a 36” barrel and I’m still trying to figure it out but I think I’m winning lol.

Attachments

• IMG_0278.jpeg
    IMG_0278.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0275.jpeg
    IMG_0275.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
I think I can do one better hopefully ,this is after I did some work on the lock pan .

Walt, you are getting instant ignition. Very nice. Puts the lie to the "skritch-boom" crowd.
I would agree with Bill!

From images of Walt’s gun in post #27, it looks like it has an L&R Queen Anne lock, like mine. As mentioned in the first post, the lock on my gun had some problems initially, but with the frizzen properly hardened and the springs balanced, and whatever else Brad Emig did to it, I have no complaints. For those who are unfamiliar, the Queen Anne is a big lock. When tuned correctly, the large flint and frizzen throw a lot of sparks. It also has a fly in the tumbler, so a light pull can be achieved even with a single trigger.

I will say that Walt know what he’s doing. That video shows mighty quick ignition.

Notchy Bob

I would agree with Bill!

From images of Walt’s gun in post #27, it looks like it has an L&R Queen Anne lock, like mine. As mentioned in the first post, the lock on my gun had some problems initially, but with the frizzen properly hardened and the springs balanced, and whatever else Brad Emig did to it, I have no complaints. For those who are unfamiliar, the Queen Anne is a big lock. When tuned correctly, the large flint and frizzen throw a lot of sparks. It also has a fly in the tumbler, so a light pull can be achieved even with a single trigger.

I will say that Walt know what he’s doing. That video shows mighty quick ignition.

Notchy Bob
Thanks Bob the problem I was having was ignition problems and my bud told me me to grind the pan so it was even and a tiny bit deeper .As you know the l& r pans on the Q A are tear drop shaped and shallow Where it touches the barrel .Imade the of the pan trough even and a little deeper where it touches the barrel and walla instant bang .all good know .

Walt, you are getting instant ignition. Very nice. Puts the lie to the "skritch-boom" crowd.
Took a little work an some help from Rob M but what a big difference I gotta say.And the touch hole is not centred either so and it’s a white lightning I believe so I guess if things aren’t outa wack to bad any one can do it .I also have and re Davis lock and I like the pan much better cause it’s deeper and I just drilled the touch hole and it’s really fast have a look and you can come to your own conclusion .only thing is I gotta get better with technology but I can shoot a flint lock with no troubles so oh well lol .any way hears ole Jimmy shooting the Davis up side down .enjoy

Attachments

• IMG_0125.mov
    18.1 MB
Took a little work an some help from Rob M but what a big difference I gotta say.And the touch hole is not centred either so and it’s a white lightning I believe so I guess if things aren’t outa wack to bad any one can do it .I also have and re Davis lock and I like the pan much better cause it’s deeper and I just drilled the touch hole and it’s really fast have a look and you can come to your own conclusion .only thing is I gotta get better with technology but I can shoot a flint lock with no troubles so oh well lol .any way hears ole Jimmy shooting the Davis up side down .enjoy
Such fast ignition !! You must be doin something illegal !! :)

Our forum brother, @bornintheussr , started a thread about a really cool pistol he had acquired, and we were able to confirm that it had been made by Jackie Brown, a muzzleloading gunmaker in northern Mississippi. Check it out here: my new pistol

Over the course of that discussion, I mentioned owning a Jackie Brown fowler that had some features similar to those on the pistol. I was asked to post some photos of my smoothbore, and rather than hijack the other thread, I thought I would just start a new one.

Mr. Brown called this a "Carolina Smoothbore," but in our correspondence he simply referred to it as a "fowler." Note that some of the early English trade muskets were called "Carolina guns." This one is not a copy or replica of those, nor did Jackie try to represent it as such. The similarity in names is coincidental. Anyway, I ordered this one from Jackie in late 2009 and received it in early 2010. Jackie has built a lot of muzzleloaders, and I think this was more or less a standard model or design for him, although he was happy to accommodate reasonable requests for custom features, such as the type of wood, length of pull, or type of lock. I requested a walnut stock stained dark, an antique finish on the metal, a 13-1/4" LOP, and an L&R Queen Anne lock. The bore is 20 gauge, and I believe it has a Colerain barrel.

Here is a full-length view of the lock side:

View attachment 299454

...and the off side:

View attachment 299456

I apologize for the fuzzy photos. This gun has a 42" barrel, and it was hard to get the whole thing in the picture!

You can't really see it in the photo, but the tapered ramrod is a replacement that I made. The original rod was a simple 3/8" stained hickory stick with a threaded ferrule on one end. I keep it as a backup, but prefer a tapered rod for looks as well as function.

Here we have a close-up of the Queen Anne lock as well as the trigger and guard:

View attachment 299457

This lock had some issues when first received, but I do not consider that Jackie's fault. It was a mediocre to poor sparker and it would eat flints. I understand these are very common problems with L&R flint locks. I sent it to "the Lock Doctor," Brad Emig of Cabin Creek Muzzleloading for remediation. Brad tuned it up and it's as good as any now... very quick and reliable, and easy on flints. I would like to add that this gun does not have a vent liner, nor does it need one. Vent liners are vastly over-rated in my opinion. They can be an advantage for rifles with swamped barrels with heavy, thick sidewalls at the breech, but for a smoothbore like this one, a liner would be more of a liability than an asset.

Moving on, if you look at the pistol photos posted by @bornintheussr in the thread referenced above, you'll see a lot of similarities between that handgun and my fowler. The traditional "Tennessee" sideplate is one of them, also the swept-back trigger with the pigtail curl:

View attachment 299463

Another is the triggerguard itself. In looking at the pistol photos, it seemed to me that the triggerguard bow was quite large, and the guard on my fowler has exactly the same "acorn" finial up front:

View attachment 299464

I'm thinking Mr. Brown may have modified a guard for a fowling piece to fit the pistol. I'll have to say, I like that larger bow on the pistol guard. It looks good to my eye, and I would consider it a very practical adaptation.

For the front sight, Jackie likes the old turtle:

View attachment 299465

We had a little discussion of these "turtle" front sights in a recent trade gun thread. Popular as they are, I don't think think they are authentic or "correct" for any period of distant history. However, muzzleloading gunsmiths are artisans as well as craftsmen, and we as customers need to accept some of the distinctive features these artisan/craftsmen design into the guns they make. With that in mind, Jackie likes the turtle, so that's what I got. Here is the gunmaker's signature:

View attachment 299466

Jackie told me that guns signed "J. Brown" were completed by him, while those guns marked just "Brown" were sold in the white, to be finished by the customer. Mr. Brown sent this one to me as a finished gun.

I have corresponded a little with Jackie recently. He told me he is still building a few guns, but he is not taking orders any more. Time takes its toll on all of us. I will say it was fun planning this fowler with him, and he was great to deal with. I have bought and then sold a few guns, but this one from Jackie Brown is a keeper.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
Bob you wouldn’t have a picture of a target and maybe one of shot pattern out of that fine smoothbore know would you that you could share with use 😉.

Oh yeah !! Wanting to post pics and brag how
Bob you wouldn’t have a picture of a target and maybe one of shot pattern out of that fine smoothbore know would you that you could share with use 😉.
good that short barreled N.W. gun throws a tight pattern ! MUCH better than my 40" long barreled N.W. gun will !! Ya Canuck Wizard you ! :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back